i was scammed and paypal dont want to help

Megzzzz1981
Contributor
Contributor

i was scammed by an IQ test website called Brainety.

after i bought the test results, one month later they charged me for $79.8 for renewal of brain games that i never singed for.

i opened a case with PAY PAL providing all evidence that i never singed up for this, i even provided FACEBOOK search results showing that many people were scammed the same way from the same website.

to my surprise, PAY PAL closed the case by denying my refund, and i am even unable to contest that.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

Evodriva
Contributor
Contributor

The merchant stubbornly will not refund this even though I have given them the evidence and asked them to provide me with the contract to which I supposedly agreed to a subscription including the instructions on how to cancel, which they haven't.

Login to Me Too

Kennyboere
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too

topsyturvyeli
New Community Member
I guess this just happened to me too.
And im guessing im gonna get the same reply if any as you @careo.
I have cancelled the auto payment in paypal settings, so that should stop another billing to happen right?
Sucks that this is allowed to happen like this.
Login to Me Too

Marsxmaster
Hey i have the save problem now how did yo cancel the subscription in the first place i am still on the 28 days free trail
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Marsxmaster

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I can understand how your payment settings can be a bit confusing. Normally, the best option is to reach out to the merchant to cancel your subscription with them first. However, here are some instructions on how to Cancel any recurring payments or subscriptions through your PayPal account. 

Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Joe606060
Contributor
Contributor

The issue being ignored by PayPal is that all these users NEVER subscribed for the service, hence cancellation is not the main issue. The main issue is how PayPal are allowing such unauthorised subscriptions to be allowed in the first place.

I just appealed my case, no high hopes....loosing faith in PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Werther
New Community Member
This Just happened to me and the refunded me once I left a bad review on Trustpilot - seems to have worked for others too. Total scam artists
Login to Me Too

tuesdae666
Contributor
Contributor
Exact same thing happened to me. Also provided evidence of all correspondences and invoice to show there was no purchase agreement between me and merchant. PayPal just closed the dispute. This is just a case of big corporate vs small customer. I will stop using PayPal from now as they obviously have zero care for customer interests and security.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @tuesdae666

Thanks for joining the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry to hear your dispute was not closed in the manner you expected. From what you've mentioned, it sounds like you had authorized an initial purchase with the merchant, and then there were recurring payments that happened after that. If that's the case, the subscription would have been established during your initial checkout. If you canceled the subscription with the merchant prior to when the next payments took place, you'll want to reach out to Customer Support to request your case type be changed to a Canceled Recurring Billing dispute. With the new dispute, please include a copy of your cancelation confirmation. You can find the different options for contacting Customer Support on our Help Center here

I hope this information helps you obtain a refund! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

tuesdae666
Contributor
Contributor

That's the thing we keep telling you guys and you keep assuming that we signed up during the initial subscription. The posts here say that the subscription option was NOT displayed or shown during the initial sign up. All of us say we signed up for an 8.90 results ONLY. There was no mention of the recurring or an option to Opt out prior to payment as most legit recurring transactions do. All these similar cases and you seem to doubt that we don't have the mental faculty to notice or understand agreements? There was no agreement because it wasn't shown to us upon purchase. A quick search online shows over 100 same cases with this merchant on trustpilot alone. Don't you guys have some risk management or compliance that evaluates whether a merchant is trustworthy enough? Seems like PayPal is itching for a class action suit to happen. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.