i was scammed and paypal dont want to help

Megzzzz1981
Contributor
Contributor

i was scammed by an IQ test website called Brainety.

after i bought the test results, one month later they charged me for $79.8 for renewal of brain games that i never singed for.

i opened a case with PAY PAL providing all evidence that i never singed up for this, i even provided FACEBOOK search results showing that many people were scammed the same way from the same website.

to my surprise, PAY PAL closed the case by denying my refund, and i am even unable to contest that.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Megzzzz1981 

Talk to the merchant about canceling the service/renewal and ask for a refund. 

See cancelation of services/refund section(s) of TOS:

https://brainety.com/terms

You likely set up a billing agreement on the first purchase agreeing to it all and there are strings attached in the fine print to your IQ test you didn't read or the merchant hid it. 

See https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/zyq7d1/dont_use_brainety_ever/

Go into your PayPal automatic payments settings and cancel the billing agreement merchant profile:

What is an automatic payment and how do I update or cancel one?

And any permissions given: 

How do I manage my personal data and privacy settings on my PayPal account?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Megzzzz1981 

Talk to the merchant about canceling the service/renewal and ask for a refund. 

See cancelation of services/refund section(s) of TOS:

https://brainety.com/terms

You likely set up a billing agreement on the first purchase agreeing to it all and there are strings attached in the fine print to your IQ test you didn't read or the merchant hid it. 

See https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/zyq7d1/dont_use_brainety_ever/

Go into your PayPal automatic payments settings and cancel the billing agreement merchant profile:

What is an automatic payment and how do I update or cancel one?

And any permissions given: 

How do I manage my personal data and privacy settings on my PayPal account?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Megzzzz1981
Contributor
Contributor

i did all the above, the merchant is not responding, and i am surprised that paypal closed the case.

is there any way to communicate to paypal? as i am unable to find a message or email section?

but thank you very much for the valuable feedback.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hi everyone! Thank you @sharpiemarker for your time and help getting a resolution started on this thread. We really appreciate it!

@Megzzzz1981, welcome back and thank you for reply! You can reach Customer Support by clicking Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website.  They're also available through Twitter direct message or Facebook instant message.

Best wishes,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

careo
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me just now. 

It sounds like both @Megzzzz1981 and myself contacted support and were denied. In my case, it was because I "did not cancel the billing agreement before the transaction took place." But it's impossible to cancel a fraudulent billing agreement you never authorized in the first place. How's that supposed to work?

Login to Me Too

Nbdw1936
Contributor
Contributor

On the 4 Jan I did the IQ test and paid for the result.  Unbeknown to me This company used that payment to create an account and a monthly subscription for 58.80 process by paypal as an Auto payment on the 11 Jan.  This company has a ABN why is it still operating in australia?

Login to Me Too

Nbdw1936
Contributor
Contributor

I have an email from PayPal on the 11 Jan saying the transaction was cancelled.  It still showed up on my account on the morning of the 12 Jan.  It was not there on the 11Jan 2024.

Login to Me Too

Frank-Bemelman
Contributor
Contributor

This Brainety company is robbing thousands of innocent people, with unwanted subscriptions. Please post your experiences at brainety-refund.com so that we can combine forces and take legal steps against this company. Paypal does nothing for us. They prefer to accommodate robbers and thieves.

Login to Me Too

Nbdw1936
Contributor
Contributor

A refund was paid To my account by PayPal  and an apology from Brainty.com

thanks to someone who followed up on this.

Login to Me Too

eFLASH
Contributor
Contributor

Happened to me too!
This is outrageous! And paypal.com is giving them a hand, instead of not allowing ANY payment to such companies, they don't even cancel when someone reaches out to them, unbelievable... better to use a credit card, they listen. Just cancelled my PayPal account, not going to stick to such companies, sorry. Do the same. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.