Unauthorized payment to Meta Platforms (Facebook ireland) and Paypal denied dispute

tanvincent87
Contributor
Contributor

SSo today suddenly I had two unauthorized automatic payments to Meta Platforms INC (email says Facebook ireland???) amounting to $354.72! I checked my Facebook account and there were NO activities logged.

It's no small sum and when I raised a dispute to PAYPAL, PAYPAL denied the dispute and deemed it legit (within an hour). Help! how can I resolve this???

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Elementos 

Check if you had a subscription set up and cancel it.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

If not then............

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
71 REPLIES 71

Temp20230102h
New Community Member
This exact thing happened to my wife. Did you manage to get any further?
Login to Me Too

tanvincent87
Contributor
Contributor

I had to call up Paypal personally and spoke with the operator to lodge my complaint and appeal. The person said that the initial dispute resolution was "automated". Anyway, I am waiting a call-back or email as they are currently reviewing the case. I did a quick Google search, and apparently many many users were charged by the same hacking email sender (facebook ireland). I would suggest you to lodge a case via phone call as well.

Login to Me Too

Leanne202
New Community Member

Thank you for the suggestion, the same thing has happened to me today.

Login to Me Too

georgiapaw
Contributor
Contributor

same issue with me. and I did talk to about 3 or 4 reps on the phone to get updates and make sure they knew what happened. i hate doing things like this online. So talking with these reps did no good at all apparantly.

Login to Me Too

bobshw

I had this happen -same thing.  Where can I find answers r direction to this ?

Login to Me Too

JBudney
Contributor
Contributor

I've had two charges to my account this past year, from two different people, one for a bitcoin purchase and one for Gucci sunglasses.  Of course, both were  false.  I received a notification e-mail from PayPal with a link (which I did not click, obviously).  I went directly to my account both times and saw a charge of $340 for the sunglasses, and $385 for the bitcoin.  I was able to cancel both payments with no further problem.  But I wonder how this is happening.  Some must have gotten account information to be able to send a charge to the account.  I don't know how many people fall for a scan like this.  In doing Google searches I can find no information on this scam and PayPal will not let me "report this type of transaction."   Account information must have been compromised somehow, but so far it hasn't cost me because I was able to cancel both payments.

Login to Me Too

drvhl07
This same thing has just happened to me. How should i file a claim for this unauthorized payment?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @drvhl07

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you've run into a similar issue with unauthorized payment to Facebook. Here's a Help Center article on How to report unauthorized activity. 

I hope that helps, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

georgiapaw
Contributor
Contributor

paypal had refunded me the amounts that were taken out of mine, due to someone in Ireland, due to a FB issue as well. my personal bank was also hacked from the same source, at the same time, and my bank disputed it and refunded me back over 600 dollars! due to my paypal being hacked my bank couldn't do anything advised me to dispute it with paypal. which i did 30 days ago. got the advanced refund, while they decided to investigate and NOW have decided it was legit and took the money back and left me negative since i don't keep alot of funds there!! Seems i can't get anywhere. I read somewhere to talk to my bank about doing a chargeback. I am going to see if that's something they can do. Don't know. But this whole thing with paypal is terrible. once this is resolved after many many years of being with them, I won't be after this! Hopefully I'll get somewhere and get my money back. 

If you have any suggestions on how to handle this, please let me know. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.