Unauthorized payment to Meta Platforms (Facebook ireland) and Paypal denied dispute

tanvincent87
Contributor
Contributor

SSo today suddenly I had two unauthorized automatic payments to Meta Platforms INC (email says Facebook ireland???) amounting to $354.72! I checked my Facebook account and there were NO activities logged.

It's no small sum and when I raised a dispute to PAYPAL, PAYPAL denied the dispute and deemed it legit (within an hour). Help! how can I resolve this???

Login to Me Too
71 REPLIES 71

PayPal_JonK

Hi everyone! Thank you for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear there's been some unauthorized activity on your account recently. 

@JBudney, thank you for your time and input. Unfortunately, you cannot cancel a transaction that has already completed. If you receive an invoice or money request from an unknown party, you may have the option to cancel that. You may also have the option to Report a problem with a transaction if it falls under the guides of our Purchase Protection. However, you do not have the option to cancel a completed transaction. 

@vanderwaa, I can certainly understand how this has been a frustrating situation. If you don't see the option to Report a problem with a completed transaction, please reach out to our Customer Support teams for assistance. They should be able to guide you through our Dispute process as necessary. I'd also recommend checking your Billing Agreements and Subscriptions for any other unrecognized payment profiles. You may also want to reach out to Meta to report those purchases as unauthorized. 

Best wishes with this and future transactions through PayPal,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

vanderwaa
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_JonK thanks for the response!
Luckily I was able to get my bank to book back the money from Paypal. So I'm good, but not thanks to Paypal.
I also turned my FB-account upside down and found no payment, and I contacted the real Meta/Facebook to see if they knew what was going on, but got no answer at all. The only contact info on the receipt of this fake Facebook is a non-functioning phone number.
I have disconnected all payments through Paypal bar the essential ones, and I also disabled all other possibility of Paypal withdrawing money from my bank accounts.

If there was an option to cancel this payment in Paypal, I did not see it.
I did initially try to report a problem with a completed transaction, but the forms, options under various drop-down menus are not adequate to report this. 

In the end I disputed this payment.  and now the message from Paypal is that they are waiting for a reply by this entity called 'Facebook', which is with 99% certainty fraudulent as far as I can see.

I hope you understand that unless I am contacted by Paypal in the future with the message that indeed this was fraudulent, and with some apologies that this was possible in the first place, or when some clear other action is undertaken to stop this kind of thing I will not use Paypal anymore. And I will strongly discourage others to use it as well.

Login to Me Too

Krice755
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the same problem i dont have a ticket from the real facebook meta, Paypal hasn´t reconized that this plataform is a fake facebook acccount and is billing money for their users i just contacted my bank to not recognized this trasaction but paypal hasn´t do anything right now just saying that is waiting to contact the fake facebook meta i dont know why paypal dosent do anything to this i hope that my bank give me back my money because i dont spect much of paypal i want to cancel my account of paypal that didnt give you protection of anything just to loose money 

Login to Me Too

Krice755
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem Today i was charged for unauthorized payment of (META FACEBOOK  IRELAND) CHARGE FOR 250DLLS AT 3:30am on my  paypay account why if paypal saw this problem didn´t act with  more security access to "META FACEBOOK IRELAND" charges my account was hacked or something happended that i suddenly has this charge. i already called to my bank to denied this payment. Unfortunately paypal has problems with the security of our billing card information. 

Login to Me Too

Elementos
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there, I've randomly received a mail saying "You paid $248.37 to Meta Platforms, Inc" I rushed into my PayPal account and really was charged that amount! now clearly haven't made this purchase nor has anything about it, so I created a ticket to the Resolution Center and few moments after got it closed saying " After our review, we found that certain transactions weren't unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered by PayPal Purchase Protection." I tried getting in touch with them again and I couldn't find a way, please help me! it's a really huge amount of money for me and I'm gonna get in debt because of it.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Elementos 

Check if you had a subscription set up and cancel it.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

If not then............

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Elementos
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Thanks for your quick response, I didn't what you said and canceled it, however yet I've zero idea what the hell is and why I'm being automatically charged for something I don't know or use, I also can't afford such an amount, how do I get a refund or cancel that payment?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Elementos

Thank you for your posts! 

I'm sorry to hear that there was a billing agreement you do not recognize. The information that @kernowlass gave will potentially help you isolate what the payment was for. If you still believe that you did not initiate the billing agreement after reading that, you can open a dispute for an unauthorized transaction. If the dispute is denied, contact Customer Service to explain the situation using one of the methods outlined in the first reply on the thread.

I hope this is helpful!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Matt_Polar
Contributor
Contributor
Same situation as you Elementos, but company was DAZN Limited. I got charged twice, $250 x2, on the same day. No resolution via PayPal, recieved "Reviewed and case closed." REALLY not acceptable. I would like DAZNs paypal id so I can just place a random charge against them. Clearly it won't be disputed.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.