Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sue31929 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts / cancel any subscriptions and close the old Paypal account before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pre44
New Community Member
Hey, I lost my old number connected to my account and now can’t login, does anyone know how to change my number/get my account back? Anyone know how to contact PayPal directly? Thanks
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pre44 

Try:
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Log on via developer.paypal.com, go to paypal.com and change it in settings.
3. Use the forgotten password option several times.
4. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
5. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
6. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
7. Try clicking on P top of the forum page and see if you can log in via the forum.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

213589opalka
New Community Member

to log in, I say I want to send a text but it will not come. so I can't log in

Login to Me Too

LizkaS
Contributor
Contributor

Jesus God in Heaven! 🙄 Sorry community, but I really am **bleep** off at PayPal UK at the moment! They TRULY are chumps!!

I CAN'T get back into my account, after not having used it for a while, and having lost my phone and I now have a phone with a different number!! THEY KEEP ASKING TO CALL ME OR TEXT ME AT MY OLD NUMBER!! They won't let me change this option - except to ANOTHER old number, that I likewise don't have any more!! GRRR!!! 😡

PayPal UK are being total, total pillocks. This just shows the kind of people that run them; at least in the UK. I don't know how much better customer service is in the US. Their US tel no is all over the web. I have found two for the UK: only one says it is out of service, and the other busy!! The web says that their customer service has broken down during Covid!! CAN'T THESE IDIOTS DO ANY BETTER??

The worst thing IS - they've kind of let me *partially* log into my account - but they won't give me full access without this stupid pantsing "2-factor authentication""!! Or whatever stupid name they think of it next. I don't *care* about Europe or European requirements - we've left them, anyway! So what's the point??

They should at least allow people *more options to change their details" - particularly if they haven't used the account for a while! I haven't because I've been on benefits. I don't have anything in there anyway. But NOW - that I've had an opportunity to get some online employment - THEY WON'T LET ME IN MY PAYPAL!! Good job I don't need immediate access; but I need to get access asap.

As I said, they *know* it's me, and they've just allowed me, today, to *change my password*! They made me fill out a dozen ReCaptchas; stupid traffic lights and all; and they even asked me the answers to two security questions, which I vaguely remembered, but I wasn't sure if I needed to put in the full name of what they were asking... But they didn't say I'd got it wrong. They ALLOWED me to change my password - by sending one of those codes to my *email*, which I still have!! BUT THEY WON'T LET ME INTO MY ACCOUNT AND I CAN'T GET THEM ON THE PHONE!! Nor can I even enter the message area on this stupid site. (I'm not sure if it would take me to PayPal UK anyway.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME TO REGAIN ACCESS TO MY ACCOUNT BEFORE i *EXPLODE*??

iF ANYONE actually FROM PayPal is on this forum - so someone with some responsibility - CAN you get PayPal to email me?? 

As I said - Jesus God - and during Coronavirus too!! It's disgusting. I've spent the whole morning on it and am barely holding back most of the swearwords I want to say. PayPal is a fine site - when idiots managing it don't mess it up; don't care more about Europe than about their customers - and don't balls up the entirety of their customer service!!

Login to Me Too

sfarnum_22
Contributor
Contributor

im from barbados i have not been sent one 

Login to Me Too

It211
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, nothing helpped do at the end I call them. Kind guy helpped me in a few minutes. @kernowlass thank you for your kind support.
Login to Me Too

Gennaaa26
New Community Member
I'm trying to sign into my PayPal account but I have 2 step authentication on it needs to send a text to my phone but the phone I had was stolen and I carnt recieve the text 😞 when I try to contact PayPal its taking me to the login page in order for me to speak to someone I need to sign in but I carnt because if the authentication
Login to Me Too

Ovitosa
New Community Member
Hello .How can i acces my acount if i changed my phone number please ?
Login to Me Too

ethanjemtrud
New Community Member

Every time I try to send money it asks me to verify my phone number. Once I click VERIFY it loads and pulls up a page saying we cant verify its you. I checked and my phone number is correct and confirmed. What do I do?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.