Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,948 REPLIES 4,948

york56
New Community Member
No longer have my old phone
Login to Me Too

hrcovasprco
Contributor
Contributor

hello guys
i wonna sign in to my old acc but on the log in page when i try to sign in my acc they want to send verification code on my phone number but i dont have that phone numer anymore... and there is no other option not even the change the number or anything like that soo... what to do next if any1 knows?
how can i access my acc

Login to Me Too

baresiboy
Contributor
Contributor
Lost phone and can't receive text to confirm identity as I have new number and can't log into account to change details because they send number to old phone any ideas thanks
Login to Me Too

RealTurner
New Community Member

I haven't used my PayPal for quite a long time but I have money in the account. Every time I try to sign in, in any way, including the app, it asks to call me on a phone number that is disconnected since my father died 2 years ago. Any resolution involves logging in to change the details but it won't let me do that first. If I click "Confirm in another way" it just loops back to wanting to phone me, and getting further help from PayPal seems to involve logging in too. What can I do?

Login to Me Too

Altrius
Contributor
Contributor

I had no problems using Paypal to pay an invoice at the end of May. Right now I'm trying to pay another one but it won't let me log in without adding a mobile phone number. I don't have a mobile phone. I only have a home phone number and it's being rejected. I can't even use the messaging under Contact Us to ask staff about it because it won't let me log in without one. I've tried using a free texting app on my tablet to try and get a number to use, but I can't get it to be accepted either, so I'm completely locked out of my Paypal account.

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Altrius 

1. https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/contact-us     
  2. Click Password and account access.    
  3. Click Login problems.    
  4. Click Call Us after “This information might help” box.
  5. Call customer service number without logging in during business hours.

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter:    

https://www.facebook.com/PayPal    

Twitter: @AskPayPal    

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Altrius
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker

I called and got through to customer service as you suggested, and was told that I'd been issued a request for a code to enter for account verification a while ago, when I've received no such thing. All it's asking me is to input a mobile phone number for account security, and I cannot move past that page because I don't have one. So the options I was given by the representative were as follows:

1. Wait 24-48 hours before attempting to log in again (already tried this)

2. Buy a mobile phone

3. Ask a trusted friend or family member to let me put their mobile phone number on MY account, and use that for verification

I'm very disappointed, and quite frustrated. I don't see why I need to bother a friend/family member for their info (and in doing so compromise my own account security) in order to apparently beef up my account's security. That's nonsensical and redundant. And needing to buy a phone I'll never use just so I can make payments is also silly. I don't want to waste $100+ just so I can pay off a $5 and $15 invoice.

I was able to pay an invoice smoothly and with no problems just at the end of May, yet only now my lack of a mobile is problem. I don't understand.

Login to Me Too

ndp90

are we supposed to call if we're not from US or Canada and pay a fortune to log in? is there an email or chat or callback option? I have access to my email and even changed my password a few times but it still asks for the same freakin phone when I try to log in. frustrating..

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ndp90 

I'm in the UK and customer services for Europe is in Dublin, Ireland so there are more centres than just U.S / Canada.

Contact options for each countries Paypal customer services are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, (during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out).
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
However do not contact Social Media for any account issues as they will tell you to contact customer services as they can't advise on account issues apparently !
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

malwins

How sure is that to help?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.