Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number changed - can't log in

Options
SaintDH
Contributor
Posted on

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

3,107 REPLIES 3,107

Options
Rhodel
New Community Member

Hi guy,

I created my first paypal account last year and I forgot my password and lost my phone number too. Can I still recover my account? 

Options
Anonymous_User
Not applicable

It may be possible if you did setup your account security questions and answers - with that info, customer service may be able to help.

Options
Lucian94
New Community Member

Options
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@Lucian94 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option several times.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

Options
pointless2020
Contributor

what utter rubbish!

Options
Lynks101
This is absolutely *#*# I know my email and my password, but my phone number has changed. But because of two step verification, PayPal wants to verify my identity by either texting my old number ... Or calling my old number. I've tried changing my password, still wants two step verification - doesnt help. To contact customer services you need to login - doesn't help I've tried calling customer services, some random number that isn't valid - doesn't help I've tried complaining, wants me to login and doesn't help. I don't have Twitter or Facebook nor do I want them so that doesn't help At this point I'm going to abandon my PayPal account because PayPal have made it so difficult to change something that should be simple, they clearly don't care about their customers

Options
hsuminto
Contributor

Hi there,

I have just received a payment to an email address that I have never used for PayPal anymore. I have another PayPal account that I regularly use.

When I tried to login using that email address, I typed in correct password and was prompted with the second factor authentication (token sent to a mobile number). Unfortunately I don't own that mobile number anymore. So I clicked another way and was prompted that PayPal will call a number and I am to type in the numbers shown on the screen on my mobile (when I received the call). Interestingly, the mobile number shown there is different to the one shown for SMS token and I still use that mobile number. So I went ahead but I never received the call. 

Then I start again with the login screen, hoping that this time will work. Unfortunately, this time when I click another way, PayPal just said that it can't log me in. I tried to reset my password successfully hoping that will help but am always stuck on the same step (2FA). Should I somehow can get PayPal to send the SMS token to the mobile number used for call verification then I should be okay.

Anyone could suggest some solution? Thanks.

Options
neliaE
Contributor

I lost the phone where I have the two factor authentication pointing to. Called Customer Support and was informed that I would have to create a new account, and then transfer all activity to that number, then PayPal would close the old account. Problem, until the old account is closed PayPal is required to honor your preset transactions or accept incoming charges. The is no reason that PayPal associates couldn't access your account as long as you have the other appropriate identifiers to insure you're accessing your account and be able to turn off the two factor authentication. So, now I need to contact PayPal about an unknown charge, and I don't know if I'll get the assistance I need to rectify this situation. So, if you're wanting PayPal to help you resolve it, good luck!!

Options
Bluwu
Contributor

I can’t get access to my paypal because it wants me to add a mobile number. Problem is, I don’t have one. What on earth am I to do? How do I bypass this?

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.