Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Euromiz

I've read into the rules about the EU law that requires 2-step verification and there's stated there that I'm supposed to be able to access my account from the usual device without the code. I'm using the same device and browser as before and it still gives me the sms code prompt. Will that become available after a while? I understand that this is a safety measure but at this point I'm locked out of my own account with over 500€ balance.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Euromiz,

Thank you for your reply. Backup methods would require that there be no risk detected. If there were any concerns detected by the system, it would be necessary to call in to resolve the erroneous phone number to allow access via the original authentication method. PayPal takes security very seriously. We regret the inconvenience you've experienced.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

per66
Contributor
Contributor

exactly the problem is that paypal take security toooooooooo seriously. it's not NASA operation system , it's a virtual account! you can easily send the code to the e-mail of register like the one  sending for lost passwords and problem solved. not everyone have access to their phone at that moment and for example I lost it on my travel. so I should stop using paypal? one of support service team said already, close this account and make another! but he didn't know, banks have limitations for linking to paypal accounts. also, it's not easy to use another account as the same! there will be conflicts with ID and personal info, please please please .consider other options for those who can't access their phone. @PayPal_Olivia 

Login to Me Too

RichiRichsss
Contributor
Contributor

They don't care....They will lose everyone with this attitude

Login to Me Too

vico1
Contributor
Contributor

It will be just another EU scam

Login to Me Too

vico1
Contributor
Contributor

Contacting customer service is a waste of time  don't bother

Login to Me Too

Jlbon
Contributor
Contributor
I have tried all these options, to no avail. My original problem, .Can not pass the me PSD2 requirement... It's locked on my old number, an PayPal has no way currently to fix this, what a silly oversight.. it's like a bank not letting you use you own money because they charged your pin without telling you.. ombudsman is coming!!!!
Login to Me Too

ailsadell
Contributor
Contributor

Ok PayPal...what happens if your mobile phone is lost or stolen ?.  How on earth do you send me a verification code or call me on a mobile device I don’t have?  How would I access my PayPal account and money from other devices..?.  Have you thought of that issue in your wisdom as I can find no solution to this?

Login to Me Too

AndyBebb
Contributor
Contributor

If SMS is essential to log in, then presumably people like myself who do not use a mobile (or live in an area where there is no mobile coverage) can no longer use Paypal. WHy can't PayPal offer an alternative such as automated voice messages sent to a landline as my bank does. My credit card provider does this so there is no reason to continue using PayPal as I can use my card online.

Login to Me Too

vico1
Contributor
Contributor

Good idea Andy but to do this you would have to have more that one brain cell

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.