Is this a scam. I all just checking to see if this is a scam.

mprifty
Contributor
Contributor

I have an issue where I am trying to sell something on FB marketplace. interested party is insisting on paypal:

"I have made the payment and the confirmation says you should check your email inbox or spam folder for payment confirmation"

"i got an email from paypal and i’m aware that your account isn’t a business so they can’t credit the money into your account because i sent the payment as “business” so can i trust you that once i send $200 for your account upgrade you’ll refund it back?"

"The reason PayPal is requesting this is because i had sent the payment from my business account to your regular account which can’t receive business payment and transaction but once I the extra payment paypal would upgrade you into receiving both business payments and transaction from paypal so I fygot your words in sending that ?"

"i just received an email from paypal saying the instructions has been emailed to you via the additional payment confirmation and mine is requiring me to send you my paypal information so you can refund the $200"

"Based on the confirmation email will see that there’s a buyer & seller safety enabled so you have to refund back the $200 from your personal pocket and get back to them with the proof either screenshot or picture for the $250 to be released into your account, available balance & automatically updated into your account activities because once you refund the $200 for safety measures it’ll go through to your account."

"So once you deposit $200 in your PayPal and make the payment, you will send them a proof of payment and they will credit you with $250 immediately"

mprifty_0-1686761525235.png

I have attached screenshots of the PayPal email I received.

mprifty_1-1686761697550.pngmprifty_2-1686761759319.png

I am not seeing any funds in my PayPal account either.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mprifty 

"I have made the payment and the confirmation says you should check your email inbox or spam folder for payment confirmation"

"i got an email from paypal and i’m aware that your account isn’t a business so they can’t credit the money into your account because i sent the payment as “business” so can i trust you that once i send $200 for your account upgrade you’ll refund it back?"

Scam. You didn’t get paid, PayPal never asks this of their users.

Personal accounts can accept payment for goods and services so a business account not required and it is free to upgrade to a business account and free to open a separate business account, while keeping a personal account, should you choose to do so. 

This ‘customer’ is totally lying to you to scam $200 or $250 from you so move on.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mprifty 

Scam. You didn’t get paid, PayPal never asks this of their users.

Personal accounts can accept payment for goods and services so a business account not required and it is free to upgrade to a business account and free to open a separate business account, while keeping a personal account, should you choose to do so. 

This ‘customer’ is totally lying to you to scam $200 or $250 from you so move on.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

rebusi0
New Community Member

Hello this happened to me on twt and the guy is asking me about my local bank and send him the money and stuff ai’m just wondering that this is emails are fake? Cause if it’s not then I’m worried that “the law with get involved” 

Login to Me Too

AvraForLavra
New Community Member

I have received a similar email. I think its a scam

Login to Me Too

Terri98
New Community Member
It's 100% a scam got the same thing. When I called her out on it she stopped replying to me because i sent her a screenshot of the sammers lists that paypal provides. Also the best thing to remember is that when you receive a legit paypal email they will always use your full name and
Login to Me Too

Chameleon999
New Community Member

Hi, I just issued the same thing, and I am still in contact with the 'buyer'. Where can I find this list you mentioned?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Chameleon999

Welcome! Thanks for visiting PayPal's Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear a recent interaction mentioning PayPal's services did not go as expected. We don't keep a specific list of scammers or fraudulent users. However, if you are ever concerned about the legitimacy of an email you've received, please review the following Help Center article for guidance: How do I spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?

I hope that helps. Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Terri98
New Community Member
Also I forgot to mention the email I got it said 'FAILURE TO CARRY OUT THIS ACTION WILL RESULT IN SUSPENDING/BLOCKING THE SELLER AND THE BUYER'S ACCOUNT AND BOTH SELLER AND BUYER WILL BE CHARGED TO COURT FOR SCAM ALERT IMMEDIATELY.'
Login to Me Too

KrixKraxKriszta
New Community Member

where do I report if I am scammed in the name of PayPal? From the email address

Paypal Business [removed] received a strong request to pay 200 euros  to received what she has sent to me. Now I learned that az official notice from paypal looks much different and always has my full name, and no "dear Customer" on it. I understand I can't get my money back as I made the transaction bona fide. Is there any chance for disclosure of those users who extracted money with bad intentions? Can I Block somehow the scammer?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @KrixKraxKriszta

Thanks for joining the PayPal Community Forum to share your experience! 

I understand you would like to report someone posing as PayPal, and I'm sorry to hear about what happened that caused this. Please forward the email to phishing@paypal.com, as listed in this Help Center article. If you also know there's a PayPal account associated with the email address, you can report a violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy as well. 

I hope this helps!

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.