Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

Noonah
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! 

My old phone number is attached to my paypal account, and because of this i cannot log in anymore. Can you help me in this?

Login to Me Too

Dominic43
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, awhile back I ended up having to change providers and lost my old number. Since I made the mistake of enabling two-factor on my account, I haven't been able to log-in since then (this is just a new account). I've explored the forums and tried every suggestion I've seen. Ranging from resetting my password a bunch, trying the mobile app throughout the week, different browsers, etc. Nothing worked so I called support. Four different times now. The first time support amounted to "we can delete your account" which they did without me even confirming I wanted. Thankfully they somehow deleted the wrong account, just the other new account (before this one) I was using in the mean time. The second time they had me reset my password and said that's all they could do. Third time was like the first, but they asked before and I don't want it deleted. Fourth time ended with they telling me to call my old provider and ask if I can get my old number back. So, not very helpful.

I have funds in the account and I would rather not lose them obviously. I've seen some people on the forums here have success with calling support and asking them to change their number. Is there anything else I can try that I might have missed? Have I just been unlucky with getting bad support?

Login to Me Too

Markey8-
New Community Member

Ok , I have changed my contact number and now cannot access my account , to access my account they want to send me a text code and I haven’t got that number .. can’t reach inside PayPal to make contact as they want me to accept a text to get into my account to be able to talk to them .. how do I get around this please ?.

Login to Me Too

ErniePatterson
New Community Member
I tried to add a Portuguese phone, can select the correct +351 but when try to enter mobile number, the system defaults to using parenthesis for an area code (as in usa) and then says format not supported. What gives? How can I get my phone corrected so I can get SMS confirmations? Can't use usa phone in PT, it times out on SMS
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ErniePatterson 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kristen1991
New Community Member
Hi I can't login to my account as it wants to send me a code by text but I no longer have any of the mobile numbers so can't access my account
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lovaszgabi
New Community Member

Hello! 

I am not able to use my account. I did it many , many years ago in England with an english phone number, I already haven't own it

I did a new password, I could logged in for a few seconds ,than I got a message on the screen "we can not identify you,sorry "

Now, I can not use my account again and I have no idea what to do

Login to Me Too

Tait1
Contributor
Contributor

I have a new number and am logged out of my account. How do I get in when all they want to do is call me or text me on my old number?

Login to Me Too

Qasam123
New Community Member
What do I do if I don’t have my old number
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.