Paypal fees

Nicola
Contributor
Contributor
I can't find where to check Paypal's fees and couldn't open the 'help' page I haven't sold on Ebay for a long time and didn't remember money being taken by Paypal at source from the total. Is that usual?
Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36

PayPal_Wayne

Well done red-bay!

Excellent stuff, keep it up Smiley Happy

Wayne

Login to Me Too

Pablo_Pender
New Community Member

I've recently sold an item on eBay. I've sent it off and I've received an email from PayPal saying they are just checking the tracking number is all correct. But this morning I received an email from PayPal asking me for £100... What's this for? They said in the email that once I've sent them the funds they'll add them to the total I'm supposed to be credited which would mean they're going to pay me back the money instantly!? What is all this about!? 

Login to Me Too

fedupaswell
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.. That is a new one.!! Does the £100 relate to your sale in any way,, if it does and the sale was some days ago ? The buyer may have  asked for a refund or is disputing the transaction... in some way..

If I was you I would get on the Phone to Paypal right away to ask what the problem is.. Not worth writing to them as it takes to long... when you get to the point where they give you options on contacting them phone the number in Ireland....

hope that helps..

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi Trb,

I understand where you are coming from and yes, when a payment is received for a purchase, there is a postage field.

Where the confusion lies is if you press the Send Money icon on your PayPal account, you have multiple options for sending the payment to your seller. None of these are classed as postage and as a result, there would be a fee applied to the transaction.

The options available are goods, services, eBay items and a personal/gift payment (where no fee would apply if sent from your PayPal balance or bank account). There is no option to make a payment and select postage as the payment type. The reason for this is that the postage amount should be included in the original transaction amount.

David.

Login to Me Too

idzi
New Community Member

hi, i'm new to paypal so don't know much, this site is so hard to figure out! i sold and item on ebay for £52.00 but paypal have only put £37 into my account!! the charges are not that much are they???

Login to Me Too

fedupaswell
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Idzi..

No they are not that much,, but when you sell a few items it starts to feel that much.....  You have all the ebay fees as well.

That starts to add up.!! it depends how you have selected to pay you ebay fees, I pay mine through paypal at the end of the month,, Every time I am surprised at how much they take,,, the better you sell something the more they take..

If you look back through this thread, you will see one of the 'Moderators' has said that it is 3.4% if you sell in the UK and ( I think ) 3.9% if you sell to abroad.. so I cannot think why they have taken that much,, it should have been around £1.77p..

you should be able to see where it has gone in your paypal account,,,, If you cannot see why there is a discrepancy you might want to learn how to go through all the rigmarole of generating a pin number to quote to them when on the phone,, when you finally get to the right place to actually generate this number after you have followed all the 'STEPS' you have to take, kiss goodbye to half a day... 

if they are at fault ... Don't forget to claim lost interest on your money...

Good luck

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hi there, all your fees and amounts paid are clearly laid out in the “History Log” of your PayPal account; all transactions in and out of your account are noted there.

We do also offer reduced fees for sellers with our Merchant Rate.

Here’s how to apply for the Merchant Rate:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Fees’ at the bottom of the page.
  3. Click ‘1.4% to 3.4% + £0.20 GBP’ under ‘Get paid.’
  4. Click ‘View merchant rate criteria’ near the bottom of the page.
  5. Click ‘Apply now’ and complete the Merchant Rate application.
  6. Read the User Agreement, and then check the box to indicate that you’ve read and accept the agreement.
  7. Click ‘Submit.’

If you’re approved for the Merchant Rate, we automatically adjust your fees at the beginning of each month. The adjustment is based on your payment volume for the previous month.

You must maintain a minimum monthly payment volume of £1,500 GBP to remain eligible for the Merchant Rate. If your payment volume falls below £1,500 GBP or you have unresolved chargebacks, you’re eligible for the Standard Rate.

Login to Me Too

charityjack
New Community Member

Why do paypal charge fees on charity donations?! thats disgusting, i suppose this is me learning the lesson of 'make sure you read all the T's&C's

Login to Me Too

Elsie6874
Contributor
Contributor

WOW WOW WOW!!!  I av (within the week) recently sold my first ever item on ebay. It was my desk top computer for £41! I understood that I would have 10% of the final fee to pay (begrudgingly, I thought internet companies had fewer overheads so were cheaper!)

So my £41 then becomes £36.90 OK better than nothing and that was with a free insertion fee!

I've just looked at my paypal account and my balance is not £41 anymore! Why? Oh I have another fee to pay to paypal!!! but not off my £36.90 Oh no course not it's off the original fee of £41!

so I receive £35.31 My fee has been £5.10 and that's with a pick up item on ONE item I'm better off at the car boot!!!

Of course it will be in the small print but I think fees to ebay and paypal (apparantly the SAME company I 've found out in this forum) should be in large flashing neon print

This has made me extemely angry! I was going to leave my money in my paypal account (I wonder how many people do that!) and save it up bet they get interest too (that wouldn't bother me but it does now!) I am not now! And I'm not having automatic monthly take my fee ebay either.

That's it nxt time I'll try Facebook or free ads 'cos I already feel ripped off.

In fact I think I will write a letter to the place recommended for complaints! Sorry I'm just so shocked I couldn't even find where the difference in money has gone nothing to say fee minus and the amount.

My first and last time I sell anything on ebay!

Sorry again I sympathise with ebay sellers no wonder alot charge so much for postage!!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey guys,

Charityjack, we charge a special rate of 1.4%+20p for charities and non-profit organisations which is far lower than the regular fee.

Elsie6874, whilst eBay and PayPal are owned by the same corporation, they are 2 separate companies. eBay is an online marketplace/auction site so it has fees for listing items for sale. PayPal, on the other hand, is an online payments processor and we charge a fee on funds received. We charge the fee on the full amount because the eBay fees have nothing to do with us. We also clearly state that you will pay fees to receive money for goods and services

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.