Paypal fees

Nicola
Contributor
Contributor
I can't find where to check Paypal's fees and couldn't open the 'help' page I haven't sold on Ebay for a long time and didn't remember money being taken by Paypal at source from the total. Is that usual?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

red-bay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Its not unusual, paypal have always deducted their cut from the payment received before making the remainder available to the account holder. Fees vary depending on the type of account you have,  you can find a detailed breakdown https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
36 REPLIES 36
Solved

red-bay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Its not unusual, paypal have always deducted their cut from the payment received before making the remainder available to the account holder. Fees vary depending on the type of account you have,  you can find a detailed breakdown https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

fedupaswell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,,   In the UK

Have followed your link.. But do not follow all the charges, guess I am a bit dozy...

why do paypal make it a minefield to find this out..   oh of course.!!!!

so if I am following it right. If I sell an item from the UK  I have to pay  paypal 20p per item.?     and then 3.4% of what the item sells for.?

If I sell an item to somewhere in the EU I have to pay paypal 20p and then 3.9% of what the item sells for.?

If I buy something from someone in the UK and use my bank account or money I may have in my paypal account, I have to pay paypal  Half a % of the items Value..?

But if I buy from just about anywhere using my Credit card that is registered with paypal, I have to pay 3.9% of the value of my purchase..?

Does that sound about right.?  appreciate it if you know that it is right... cheers.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there fedupaswell,

You have the information on seller correct, however if you are buying something you don't pay a fee.

Sending money for an item is free. The only time you may pay a fee when sending a payment is if you are sending a personal payment from your card. This fee however you can chose to have the recipient pay.

The percentages you mention are correct, but the 0.20p is per transaction, not per item. If you were to sell 5 items to one person and you received a lump sum for the 5 items, you would only pay one amount of 0.20p.

Login to Me Too

fedupaswell
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Lucy.

Thanks for your reply, 

So if I were to send a payment, ( by personal payment you mean buying something not on ebay.? as all payments are personal to me.) for something at an on line store, make sure the payment comes direct from my bank account and not the credit card that I have registered with paypal..?

As you work for paypal, I can give you some info that you are not aware of and it can really mess things up for paypal users... to which I can testify to as it has just happened to me..   Paypal put a hold on some funds, as a buyer opened a dispute. The amount was more than was actually in my paypal account, ( as it was 14 days after the transaction, so I had already taken some money out)  So I could see that I had to put in some funds......

I clicked to add funds from bank account and entered the amount,, all was fine, or so I thought...    I then got an email from paypal saying that my bank had refused the withdrawal,,     But Not to contact paypal as it was a problem between me and my bank,, Typical paypal reaction......

So, contacted my bank, they had no record of an attempt to take money from my account, further more they had not put a block on any part of my account including my credit card.......

So Phoned paypal to try and sort it...  Well it went back and forth,, me and paypal ... me and the bank...  it was all about the direct debit that was set up when joining paypal.... the two small amounts ( less than a £1) to get confirmed or verified (whichever) 

So According to paypal,,, I had a direct debit set up between the bank and paypal,, so much so that the girl on the telephone at paypal was getting a bit hot ... saying "I have it in front of me in black and white"  ....

I put all this to my Bank- (( can you imagine how long all this is taking me?, you don't just get through right away and talk to a real person, you know...)) They have 'NO RECORD' of a direct debit set up between Paypal and themselves.!!!

So....this is it..... In my paypal account I have only ever paid money INTO my 'Bank' from my paypal account... never the other way round..........  PAYPAL  are not aware ""so it has proved""  that if no payment is made from my --or anybodies-- bank account, into my Paypal account in a YEAR...... the direct debit mandate is REMOVED.......   Hence all the problems I have just had........

I reckon someone at paypal needs to look into this... as, what a blooming pain it has been............

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Guys, the fees can be found here:

https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees

The basic payment scheme works as follows:

1) a Personal Payment: This is a payment that is sent to someone you know, not for commercial purposes, not purchasing an item. Log into your account and click on 'send money', you will see you are given the option of 'purchase' or 'personal'

2) Purchases/commercial payments, payments for goods/services/etc.

The receiving fees on commercial payments are 3.4% + £0.20 GBP (+ an additional 0.5% IF the sender of the funds is outside the UK and is not sending the payment in Euro.)

The receiving fees on personal payments are only the 0.5% cross-border fee if the payment is funded by your bank (via a direct debit, NOT a debit card) or the same as normal if a card is used. The person who sends the money can choose to pay any applicable fees themselves if they want.

If you are selling a lot of items worth less than £10 GBP, you'd may want to consider looking into setting up a micropayments account, the fees would work out better for you in this case.

See here for information on micropayments

https://www.paypal-business.co.uk/take-micropayments-with-paypal/index.htm

I've recently sold an item on eBay. I've sent it off and I've received an email from PayPal saying they are just checking the tracking number is all correct. But this morning I received an email from PayPal asking me for £100... What's this for? They said in the email that once I've sent them the funds they'll add them to the total I'm supposed to be credited which would mean they're going to pay me back the money instantly!? What is all this about!? 

This  is a scam. Unless the payment can be seen on your PayPal account there is no payment. You will never see your money or your item again. If you have already sent it then contact your local police.

see the following information

http://community.ebay.co.uk/topic/Seller-Central/Deal-Scam-Buyers/1100141048

You may be able to get your item back

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY POSTED THE ITEM

If you posted it within the last 24 hours go your local police with evidence of the transaction printed out. Ask them to complete a Regulatory Investigation Powers Act form and fax it to Royal Mail security. This gives Royal Mail the authority to return the item to you if it is still in the UK.

Login to Me Too

fedupaswell
Contributor
Contributor

SURELY THIS IS THEFT--- ON TWO COUNTS..

Hi John..... What happened to Lucy.???

I doubt if I get an answer to this... but , anyway..... OK John, followed your link To 'FEES' and the User Agreement... 

Could you tell me, where it says, that paypal will make a profit on the shipping costs.??

Number of Lines down from the top will do.. ????

I have just worked out from the fee that paypal has taken from me, that the 3.4% is on the whole sum of money, gained from the customer.. Well the shipping cost gets paid out again,,, so for some money I never see or get to use, paypal take a 3.4% cut for themselves, then I have to pay it out again to the post office....Only the money that the customer gave me to buy the postage with is 'NOW' 3.4% LIGHT  Isn't that theft.????            SOMEONE PLEASE PUT ME RIGHT ON THIS....THERE MUST BE A LAWYER OR SOLICITOR OUT THERE IN EBAY LAND.?????

OK number 2, ----well its a bit lower down.....

After over two years using paypal.. when posting abroad the only option was 'Airmail Sm Packets' 'Airsure' and 'Parcel force'... So anything for abroad I have always taken to the Post Office and Bought 'INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR' Over the counter...   About 3 weeks ago I changed all of my listings.. and added, for posting abroad 'AIRSURE'   As this was the closest in money to International signed for...  'SO'--Today I go to print out my shipping label.... click for 'AIRSURE'   It is not there!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have stopped doing it...????????????? And to cap it all you now only offer INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR .!!!!!!!! I cannot now get AIRSURE usuing Paypal posting..........

What a bunch of-------------  --------

Number '2' ---------- SO I go ahead with my posting, but now have to use 'International Signed for'  - I have these Scales that do it to the GRAM------  put in the weight-- price comes out at £7.60... so dearer than Airsure used to be..!!! Tried to go ahead,,,, but then,,, as nearly always happens--- paypal had a problem and could not print the Postage--- try later is the message.....   I thought blow it I will just go to the Post office.................... WAIT FOR IT  .!!!!

My Parcel goes on the scales..'weighs the same'  but the cost is only ----£7.33..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

What is that all about then.???????????      While you are pointing out to me from all of your agreements --- answers to  my first question,,,, could you tell me where in the Agreements it says that I will be charged extra to do my posting online using paypal...??? I am VERY sure that it is there............ but I have just missed it... please put me right....I can take it....

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there Fedupaswell,

The fee is a receiving fee, so the fee is incurred on the full amount of the payment received into your PayPal account whether there is postage involved or not. As PayPal is just processing the payment, they do not know if postage is involved in the amount being received. As the buyer requests to send an amount PayPal processes that request and sends the funds to the sellers account.

With regard to the postage options offered, this is a service offered by Royal Mail and PayPal are simply the payments processer. The postage options offered are the only ones that Royal Mail are providing through PayPal. Royal Mail also set the price on the postage, much like any other seller you buy from.

Login to Me Too

trb
New Community Member

Lucy that is not entirely correct, PayPal do break it down when you receive a payment from a buyer.  The item cost is shown as well as the postage but as seperate lines so PayPal do know the difference, fedupaswell does have a valid point and I would advise that if he and other are unhappy they should report it to the FSA.

PayPal are after all classified as a bank!!!

Login to Me Too

LC60
New Community Member

Where ca I make a change to make sure that I receive the full amount required for a service? I want the buyer to pay for the fee.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.