Seller sent fake / wrong tracking number

Digdug991
Contributor
Contributor
I bought an item off of a website and the seller sent me no information except through PayPal. They had assigned a USPS tracking number to the transaction. When the tracking showed the item got delivered, I received nothing. I contacted USPS and they let me know in writing that the seller gave me a wrong / fake tracking number that's not addressed to me. I dispute it on PayPal and the blind people there said the tracking number shows the item got delivered so I must have received it. Whenever I try to open a new dispute, I don't see any option about the seller sending it to the wrong address. How can I dispute the transaction more clearly so the blind reviewers at PayPal will actually read the email from USPS?
Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

dh45
New Community Member

I had similar case last year. I went to my local post office and had them give me a report showing where the tracking number item was actually delivered. The tracking number was for a 12 oz package delivered to someone in my zip code. The item I had ordered weighed 100 lbs. I then phoned paypal (I don't remember where I found the the number, I think it had something to do with appealing a denied claim, and talked to someone and was able to get it taken care of.

Login to Me Too

Danimarie82
Contributor
Contributor
I am going through the same thing right now. PayPal denied my claim afrer reporting that I never received the merchandise. I sent the seller a message through PayPal and they never responded. When I tried to track the order through their website, it no longer existed. At this pont i figure I got scammed. Cut to today when I receive an email from PayPal saying the seller provided proof of delivery so my claim was denied and the case is closed. I go back into my email, get the tracking number and check it again through UPS. It says the package was delivered to me, but the info just has the name of my town with no specific address. It also says it was delivered to an office to someone with a last name that is not mine. The seller also stated the package weighed 1 lb and while it was only a pair of shoes, it seems convenient that all the information is generic and vague and PayPal sides with them anyway. How did they contact the seller and my attempts were ignored? I now have a claim going with UPS but if they deny me too, I guess I'm just out of my money? I use PayPal for the supposed extra layer of protection but that is clearly not the case.
Login to Me Too

VetTech1980
Contributor
Contributor

I’m having the exact same problem.  My package WOULD HAVE BEEN 90lb, but after talking to my Postmaster who told me that the package weight was only 5oz.  He said that he would do a search and see what he could find out.  The package was sent to to someone else’s name, and a totally different address.  He also wrote me a letter stating all of this, which I downloaded to PayPal, but I was still denied.

Is there anyone higher up that we could contact?  The person in charge must have shares in this company, or they must be getting a kickback.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @VetTech1980, @Danimarie82, and @Digdug991

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear a recent purchase didn't go quite as you had expected. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction here. Like @dh45 mentioned, you'll want to reach out to the shipping company and get a document stating the package was delivered to an address that is not yours. They may not be able to state which address it was actually delivered to, and that's OK. PayPal just needs to see the package was not delivered to the address you provided in your transaction's details. 

After you get that documentation, you'll want to reach out to our Customer Support teams to see if the option to appeal the case with new documentation is still an option. Our teams will take it from there. 

I hope they're able to get to the bottom of this for you all. Good luck with your case!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Digdug991
Contributor
Contributor
I have that document and included it in my original dispute but I guess a human doesn't look at it until I call and appeal a dispute. I will try that. Thank you Jon.
Login to Me Too

Danimarie82
Contributor
Contributor
I am waiting for an official notification from UPS, but I do have the verification of the claim showing that it was delivered to a local business. However, when I called the business to ask, I was told they haven't received any misdelivered packages.
Login to Me Too

Danimarie82
Contributor
Contributor
@PayPal_JonK I am unable to appeal my closed case and I have proof from UPS that the package was "delivered" to a local business but it never was. The seller's shipping info on the tracking number was a company that sells parts to the business. It is a SCAM. I'm mad at myself for falling for it, but this is ridiculous! Looks like I will have to dispute the payment through my credit union. H9w annoying and disappointing.
Login to Me Too

chasperth
New Community Member

I am in exactly the same position.  Seller sent tracking number showing wrong country to country and Paypal found in their favour as it was signed for! So FedEx dispute opened and I got an e-mail from them stating the tracking number had nothing to do with me, my address and it was another client. Paypal ignored this.

So FedEx contacted and stated "They are aware of Scammers using 'live' tracking numbers and they have a team trying to find out how/who. It's unknown how they are managing this but seems to be a breach in their system"

So I complained to Paypal that it's clearly a fraud as the wrong country and the next thing I get a tracking number sent from seller through Paypal showing tracking from England to Scotland before the date I even seen the advert or paid for it. 

The scammers then setup another advert on Gumtree so I contacted them, they laughed saying they were in India. (screen shots sent to Paypal) and still Paypal ignored and found in favour of Seller. Case closed.

Paypal are regulated as they are dealing with finances, this is getting reported and I'm not letting it rest.

Login to Me Too

Danimarie82
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah, the way PayPal is (isn't) dealing with this is very shady. My package was delivered to a business that deals with propane and the tracking number is from CT. That is not where the supposed business I was ordering from was located.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.