Scamming seller used fake tracking number, PayPal automatically sides with scammer, twice.

Dimeron
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what happened. eBay seller sends out a fake package with speedpak tracking number. The item is send to my city in Canada, but not to my address on file. I have confirmed this with Canada Post. I open up a claim, and after few days, I was informed PayPal ruled in favor of the seller. Apparently, according to PayPal agent, as long as there is a tracking number that shows something has been delivered to the same Canadian city, PayPal will automatically side with the seller. Actual address is NOT checked, item is considered delivered as long as it is the same city. So I appeal, and provide my communications with Canada post, along with explicit request to get proof from seller that the item is shipped to my PayPal address on file. 12 hours later, I got the exact same message again, PayPal ruled in sellers favor because tracking shows the item has been delivered to my city. There are no new seller response in the case, and apparently none of my messages or evidence is even looked at. Now I need to spend even more time to call up paypal tommorow, and possibly just have the same thing happen again. (I.e have my evidence ignored and case automatically dismissed). How do I deal with this? Can I get someone at PayPal to actually look at my evidence and get proof of correct delivery from the seller, or should I just go do a credit card charge back. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

Bobfancher
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing here. Scammer/Seller somehow managed to generate fake tracking information with USPS, showing that item was delivered to my address. PayPal agent was unmoved by the fact that fake tracking information showed that item was delivered TEN DAYS BEFORE I ORDERED ITEM. PayPal is basically a co-conspirator after the fact. They should be charged under federal RICO laws as a corrupt organization. I too have a mountain of evidence which PayPal refused to even look at. This goes well beyond bad customer service. This behavior is criminal.
Login to Me Too

Djd66
I AGREE 100%!!!
Login to Me Too

Jstarr2
Contributor
Contributor

Good news. Disputed trans for $85.00. Never received the portable generator. Seller produced fake tracking that showed delivery to my city but no specific address and of course PayPal denied dispute. Gathered all info and disputed with delta community credit union visa and received refund today. Hope PayPal enjoys eating this one. Never using them again buyer beware.

Login to Me Too

cdb6
Contributor
Contributor

I am a victim of the same scam and Paypal doesn't seem to give a crap about their customer...
Paypal immediately sided with the seller based on them providing a bogus tracking number that shows a package was delivered to my zip code.
Waiting for USPS to come back with my Search Request results which will undoubtedly show that the bogus package was delivered to a different address in my same zipcode.

On a positive note, my Credit Card Company immediately provided me a credit and they seem to actually care.

Shame on Paypal for not providing additional fraud protection methods to protect their buyers.

I will never use Paypal again for any purchase - ever!

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cdb6 

Paypal disputes for non receipt are pretty much automated, seller provides tracking = seller normally wins.

Then you have to do some leg work yourself to appeal....

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I think this scam and PP's complicity makes a news worthy story.

<removed>

The more people makes this loophole known to the public the sooner PP will act. Also, let's boycott PP, don't use PP even for trusted merchants. The bottom line is what will make PP executives get off their **bleep** and do something.

Login to Me Too

cgarlati
New Community Member

Same here. Seller ships to wrong recipient and street address but to the right zip code. PayPal rules in favor of the seller as the item has been delivered somewhere to someone. USPS confirms that the shipping address is not mine but won't disclose any other info.

Given PayPal failure to recognize and correct this fraud, I am going to dispute the PayPal payment via the credit card provider and report the fraud to a law enforcment agency. 

Login to Me Too

nylady
Contributor
Contributor

Just happened to me using Paypal. The seller never updated me on anything after purchase, I wrote numerous times..No response. I file a dispute with Paypal, seller send bogus tracking number showing my city but no actual address. I contact my Post Office, Postmaster tells me that he did an internal investigation by checking the GPS each mail delivery has. It had shown that the item was "delivered" at the same place it supposedly was "shipped" from so it was a scam.. The website used blocked my IP right after I filed a dispute with Paypal. Paypal gives me no way to include any new information and keeps pushing the date up to when their investigation will be done. Final outcome is in favor of seller-case closed, only because he provided a tracking number.  There was no way to appeal so I tried opening another dispute adding the info from Postmaster..It gets closed immediately again with no response. I try again, same thing. I called Paypal, they won't even let me talk to anyone, they keep it all automated with no option to speak to an actual person. So I wrote the seller to tell him that I will not let this go and I would appreciate my money refunded. One hour later, I go to website, it is completely gone, shut down.. I write Paypal again telling them how the website is now gone proving it was a scam.. They just don't care. I'm trying to see if my bank will somehow get involved.. I also filed a complaint with the FTC. 16 years as a client of Paypal and this is the BS they do

Login to Me Too

Ellenwood88
Contributor
Contributor

That happened to me in December. There was like a "Ghost" site on FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE shortly before Christmas for a fantastic deal..too good to be true. It was as I came to learn the hard way. Never received a confirmation on the purchase like I usually received once I paid. Usually when I order; I get an email confirming my purchase. Not this time and it usually takes you back to the actual website. Didn't happen! The website "ghosted" me as though it never existed. When I checked my PAYPAL account; my heart sank! It was redirected to China based on the address and I thought I was dealing with an American company...NOT! Tried to connect with Paypal to stop/cancel transaction. No help there. All I have is an email that no one responds to. "Scammer" provided a fake tracking number several days after I disputed the charge. Scammer was real helpful by providing the order number, which does me no good when I don't have the website name or name of Company. I feel your pain and exactly know how you feel. Even with using the PAYPAL credit card; I'm not having much luck getting my money back. PAYPAL sucks **bleep** and not worth a crap anymore. We have all those scammers out there ruining it for us innocent shoppers. I lost my sense of common sense during the Christmas rush. No more online shopping for me! I'm done dealing with **bleep** over. PAYPAL gets a lot of this crap all the time. Frankly, I can understand their decision to limit account usage. Given the situation; I'm glad to be rid of PAYPAL but punishing the victim (me); isn't quite fair. I deserve full disclosure for their reason(s) for banning me permanently. I have demanded a listing of all the instances that led to their decision.

Login to Me Too

Djd66
I agree 100%!!! It’s sad .. I’m going through this right now as well.. PayPal siding with the scammer ... and I’m out my money .
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.