Scamming seller used fake tracking number, PayPal automatically sides with scammer, twice.

Dimeron
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what happened. eBay seller sends out a fake package with speedpak tracking number. The item is send to my city in Canada, but not to my address on file. I have confirmed this with Canada Post. I open up a claim, and after few days, I was informed PayPal ruled in favor of the seller. Apparently, according to PayPal agent, as long as there is a tracking number that shows something has been delivered to the same Canadian city, PayPal will automatically side with the seller. Actual address is NOT checked, item is considered delivered as long as it is the same city. So I appeal, and provide my communications with Canada post, along with explicit request to get proof from seller that the item is shipped to my PayPal address on file. 12 hours later, I got the exact same message again, PayPal ruled in sellers favor because tracking shows the item has been delivered to my city. There are no new seller response in the case, and apparently none of my messages or evidence is even looked at. Now I need to spend even more time to call up paypal tommorow, and possibly just have the same thing happen again. (I.e have my evidence ignored and case automatically dismissed). How do I deal with this? Can I get someone at PayPal to actually look at my evidence and get proof of correct delivery from the seller, or should I just go do a credit card charge back. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

bigal56
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto! Same happened to me, twice! At least in my case I only lost about a combined $100. But as the old saying goes, Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Lesson learned, if the price is too good to be true for a hard to find item and the seller is unknown or the site looks even remotely sketchy....beware, use PayPal at your own risk.

Login to Me Too

Jstarr2
Contributor
Contributor
Pay pal will NOT cover you the buyer. Just a myth. Avoid pay pal and use your credit card. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
Login to Me Too

Djd66
It is PATHETIC that PayPal seems to be siding with these scammers!
Login to Me Too

Djd66
I’m currently going through this right now ! Ordered a pair of boots ... the scammer submitted a fake tracking number.. and I have no idea how they’re doing this ... but it shows ‘delivered’ to my address?! But I have no package . This is obviously getting to be pretty common !? And I think PayPal needs to look into this and realize how many of us are getting ripped off ! Really upsetting .. losers out there .. taking people’s money and delivering NOTHING!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Djd66 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Travel4nutin
Contributor
Contributor
You're right especially since the solution isn't universal. FedEx will not show the exact address or send a statement that the address doesn't match.
Login to Me Too

Got-Scammed
Agree, pay pal is only protecting the scammers, not the buyers
Login to Me Too

1LAW51
New Community Member

As far as I understand it all postal services are not allowed to advise exactly What address a parcel was delivered to. Made even harder to comunicate when the delivery starts with China Post!!!

You might be lucky enough to get your local services to tell you that it was NOT delivered to your address ( as I achieved ) but that likely will not satisfy PayPal. PayPal are certainly enabling these scams as they only want to see the word DELIVERED from the Supplier - they are not interested in Who To/ Where.

My recent claim was dismissed by PP despite the Seller providing 3 different Tracking No. for the single purchase AND my providing emails from Australia Post ( the final delivery service ) stating in 3 x emails for the 3 x Fake Tracking Numbers I was given that each delivery address was NOT mine. They were also able to advise ( but verbal info. only as they are not supposed to tell you! ) that the item stated on the Customs Declaration was NOT what I had ordered.  PP simply said - try your Bank - who do seem to be working hard on it, have refunded the Payment to my CC, advised PP that they have retracted the transaction and give the Seller 45 days to give reason why the funds should not be taken off them. No  final answer yet! 

For me it's not even the money on this one - it's that PP enable this by siding with the Seller when it's quite clear there is a Scam...the THREE differing Tracking No.s with 3 different delivery days alone prove that!

Login to Me Too

nylady
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Paypal didn't want to hear facts from the actual Post Office. I ended up dealing with my bank and they refunded my money then Paypal limits my account and says that bank that has been connected with them for years suddenly is questionable because they did the right thing by refunding me my money. Paypal then says to get my account back to normal, they will send 2 small payments less than $1.00 then retrieve them back to verify bank which they had done years ago but okay. It's been 3 weeks and still nothing was sent to my bank so I still can't use Paypal. What doesn't make sense is that my other bank account connected with them can't be used either even though there is no issue with it.  I also can't remove that bank with the issue because they want it verified lol.. 

Login to Me Too

PN12
Contributor
Contributor
At this point I don’t even want to use pp!!! I thought they would protect us from scams...apparently not. Therefore, if I have to use paypal for a purchase in the future I will not purchase it!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.