Account Limitations: What You Need to Know

PayPal_Mark
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Keeping your business and customers safer

To ensure PayPal remains a safer place for enabling payments, we regularly review all accounts. Sometimes, limitations may be placed on your PayPal account, which could restrict you from completing certain actions: such as withdrawing, spending, or receiving money. Limitations are in place to help protect all our customers, and in some cases to meet our regulatory obligations. Protecting your account and money is important to us.

Account Limitations: What might cause it, and how to help avoid it?

If your PayPal account is limited, you may be unable to withdraw, send or receive money. There are a number of reasons why your account could be limited:

Suspicious & unusual activity

• We suspect someone could be using your account without your knowledge.
  • Your bank alerts us that someone has used your credit/debit card linked to your account without your permission.
  • There are unexpected changes to your selling activities such as a sudden increase in your typical sales volume.

In such cases, we do what it takes to protect you from potential fraud prompted by the unusual activity– through limiting your account, and investigating.

You can safeguard your personal information and help protect yourself against fraud through some simple measures.  For example, don’t enter your personal or financial details when describing items for sale or in response to emails, and log out of sites you’ve entered your personal information into.

Regulatory reasons or business is not compliant

Your account could be limited for regulatory reasons. For example, India PayPal sellers need to include additional information to be able to accept payments in their account. Also, reaching a certain transaction value in your account may trigger a limit, which can also be removed by providing information required to PayPal.

There are also restrictions on what a PayPal account can be used to accept (and make) payments for. For example, PayPal doesn't allow the sale of counterfeit goods or banned items. So, ensure that your business is compliant with PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy .

Increased buyer issues

An increase of complaints, claims and chargebacks from buyers can lead to account limitations.

Following some simple guidelines can help you improve your performance and reduce the likelihood of limitations. Overall, communication is key. You should:

• Provide detailed product descriptions and photos.
  • Be upfront about policies such as shipping and returns.
  • Ship orders promptly and track shipments.
  • Respond quickly to any messages from buyers.
  • Work to amicably resolve any problems.
  • Ship to the address provided in the transaction details page.
  • Use quality shipping materials to prevent damage.

Removing limitations

If your PayPal account is limited, here’s what happens:

1. We’ll email you to let you know –  we’ll ask you to log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre for details on how to resolve the issue quickly, usually by providing information.
  2. Once you’ve submitted the information required, we’ll review and reply via email.
  3. We’ll remove the limitations once we have verified your account. At times, limitations can be removed by simply changing your security questions and password.

Here are the types of information and documents we may need from you:

- Supplier’s invoice with contact information

This helps us determine the inventory source and validate that you have the items that you’re selling in stock.

- Payment information

When an invoice is unavailable, we’ll review the following information about your payments:

• The item or service that was sold
  • The buyer’s name and shipping address
  • Proof of shipment to verify that an order was delivered

- Shipping or Tracking information

This helps us to verify that customer orders are being fulfilled.

- Proof of business
This provides evidence of a valid business registration and business ownership.

- Information for India sellers
This is to comply with our India regulatory obligations. Provide a valid PAN, a local bank account and the purpose code in your PayPal account task board.

- Proof of address such as bank statement or utility bill, Proof of identity such as passport or driver’s license
This helps us verify your identity when there is unusual account activity or to comply with regulations.

Once you’ve submitted your information, look out for any more emails from us as we may need additional details. We’ll do our best to confirm your information and remove the limitation within 2 business days, but sometimes it can take a little longer.

Quick Tip: If your PayPal account is limited, don’t open a new account. It could be traced back to the limited account.  It’s always best to resolve the limitation. We will guide you through it and restore full access to your PayPal account as quickly as possible.

Login to Me Too
1,052 REPLIES 1,052

kigos
Contributor
Contributor

Very true am a victim my self they limited my account then I had to refund funds that I had been paid because I could not transfer the funds.

Login to Me Too

Temp20201204d
Contributor
Contributor
My account is personal not a business and I didn't do anything for this to happen to me and it tells me that they are waiting 180 to make sure none of my clients file a dispute I dont have customers and i dont sell anything all I did was buy a vehicle and now because of this my young daughter and I are now homeless and had to sell our positions to stay in a hotel and eat now that that money is gone we have to sleep in our truck or with friends when they have the room and also I can't put my daughter in school because we domt have an address. So she out of school. I've contacted and talked to people with the BBB and they are investigating due to this having happened to so many people. As soon as they got there unemployment. Why and no answers to my questions and no one to let me know how to resolve this I just get the same generated msgs from PayPal. I dont know what to tell my daughter as to way we are dealing with what we are and why she's having to sleep in a car. Because of you guys I feel like I've failed her as a mother. Its just her and I and we have no one no family and now nothing except the clothes on our backs and this truck that is most of the time out of gas. Thank you so much for that.
Login to Me Too

Quionna
Contributor
Contributor
God I wish there was something I could do or say that could turn your situation around. Im so sorry for your daughter and you to be experiencing this. Most of us are going through the same thing. They got my account because I was transferring funds to my verified bank account. So im high risk and suspicious. Try contacting them on Twitter @AskPaypal or their Facebook page. I haven't had luck with the Facebook but twitter gets back to you pretty quickly all things considered.
Login to Me Too

samyama

my account is been limited with my money in now for a while... they have been asking me to complete my profile and for some reasons they never told me why they are not accepting my files and fro this reason keep locking my account ...it is a disgusting behavior do not leave much money into your account 

Login to Me Too

Thailerelyse
Contributor
Contributor
My account has been limited and I’ve waited months for them to review my submission for an ID. This is taking an unnecessary amount of time and there’s no way I can resolve it with a customer service representative
Login to Me Too

kinew
Contributor
Contributor

Reference number : Reference ID: PP-009-167-544-359
Please tell us what your complaint is about and what you want PayPal to do, to put it right for you? 

In or about 2008 a member of my staff opened a business account for my company to sell dresses online as I was working in the fashion trade. Around 2017 I retired and closed my company and decided to use the account for my hobby of coin collecting selling coins through eBay. I was not aware that I had to change my settings from business to private I carried on using the same account for over 3 years after I ceased trading with no problem until I got a massage that I was a dangers customer and my account was limited with my entire fund frozen April this year. I have opened a new account for my sales with eBay but you are still holding over £1800 Can you let me know when you can release that balance? 

Login to Me Too

JESSICAMANNIX
Contributor
Contributor
Reference ID: PP-L-243689201944 Trying my luck, I wish somebody can help me! I sold some of my personal stuffs in Grailed, I bought it from several thrift shops (doesn't give any receipt here in Philippines) . Now, my account is limited and Paypal is asking me to provide receipts of purchase from suppliers, how can I fix this? Anyone can help me? Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Quionna
Contributor
Contributor
180 days from the day your account was closed. They should send you an email on day 181 you let you know how to withdraw your funds.
Login to Me Too

kinew
Contributor
Contributor

About 2008 I opened a business account for my company to sell dresses on line as I was working in the fashion trade. Around 2017 I retired and closed my company and decided to use the account for my hobby of coin collecting selling coins through eBay. I was not aware that I had to change my settings from business to privet I carried on using the same account for over 3 years after I ceased trading with no problem until I got a massage that I was a dangers customer and my account was limited with my entire fund frozen from February this year.

But they are still holding over £1800 that’s well past the 180 days

CAN THEY JUST GET AWAY WITH THIS BEHAVIOUR UNRESTRAINED?

Login to Me Too

Kaguchu
Contributor
Contributor
My notification comes up everytime I login to PayPal, and just when I click it expecting I will get a chance to upload the documents, the notification takes me to a "Thank you for submitting your documents", yet I have not even submitted anything. So it becomes an endless loop that has been going on for months now. I write a message to PayPal after that, and they send me a message with a link to upload documents, and then when I click that link, the same notification saying "Thank you for submitting your documents" comes up. It is like dealing with an annoying toddler. Then the messages from PayPal are automated messages that seem to repeat themselves by sending the same link that will then "Thank (me) you submitting (my) document". Annoying little problem. Not little actually. It is major. I have to get cash to pay my bill and I have a really long overdue bill. Someone talk to someone in PayPal. Please. We need more intelligent systems and responsive bots or humans.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.