Current Bill Me Later reviews??

krl109
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm thinking about trying Bill Me Later for some future purchases, but feel that I need some second opinions before making the decision. I've seen some posts about cases where customer service is incompetent to resolve problems, account linking problems, checkout problems, not recieving the promotions, etc. Where does BML stand today?? Has the feature improved lately?? Or is it still having problems?? 

Also, are there extra fees that you pay when making the monthly payments on what you buy? Or any other hidden things??

And since it's my first time using a credit line type of system, what are the basic things to understand about them?? Like APR and interest rates and what not.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
93 REPLIES 93

mollywang
New Community Member

Do not use pay me later. They give you some discount to make you open an account first. If you forgot to pay for any reason, they charge you late fee and financial charge big time. that's how they make their money. I opened an account due to their discount. In Jan, I purchased item on ebay and use paypal to pay for it. Usually, I paypal will put charge on my creditcard in my paypal account. For some reason, it charge to pay me later account instead of my creditcard. I didn't aware of it and missed the payment util pay me later call me and tell me they are charging more than twice as much of late fee for my $50 ebay item. I called them and requested to waive the late charge but they refused. I end up paying $110 and close the account.

DO NOT USE PAY ME LATER!!! Other credit card compay will wave your late fee once or twice to keep your business, but pay me later will not. They are out to get your money. I should not pay them first before I negotiate with them. Once they get your money, they are not going to let go.

Be aware of SHARK!!!

Login to Me Too

Crickee
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using BML for over a year and love it!  I don't understand why there are so many negagive reviews on it.  I have used for several of the 6 mo offers with no problems at all. I also haven't had any problems with payment postings as well. 

Login to Me Too

rincon92
New Community Member

Did you use it to buy something on ebay with paypal? Im a little worried cause i just bought something with the bill me later option lol

Login to Me Too

Mergatroid
Contributor
Contributor

While I have had a good experience with BillMeLater in terms of smooth purchases and payments, It is important to note that there are a few frustrating detractions regarding my credit score and use of BillMeLater.

When offered a line of credit with BillMeLater, I primarily took it with the goal of improving my credit score by having another line of credit responsibly used. Of course, the 6 months interest free aspect was attractive too, however, My credit score is far more important.

Unfortunately, when taking the offer of the line of credit, aka: applying for the line of credit, BillMeLater made a hard credit enquiry - as all lines of credit do - however, they have never reported my new line of credit to any of the Credit Bureaus. So in essence, by taking on this line of BillMeLater revolving credit, I negatively impacted my credit score! I contacted customer service and they did not seem to understand my question of when or if they would report my POSITIVE usage of this account. The only reply they could muster was a confirmation that they would definitely report my NEGATIVE use of my BML account! Further inquiries by me were ignored.

So while my usage of my BillMeLater account has been smooth, it has not accomplished my overall goal, and in fact has worked against it and I don't understand why. Why won't BillMeLater report regular usage of my line of credit?

To add to this annoyance, when trying to make a BillMeLater purchase this morning, I found that BillMeLater is NOT available for all payments that can be made via PayPal. I want to participate in an IndieGoGo project a business I love to patronize is holding and apparently BillMeLater will not extend me credit for this type of payment.

So while I would like to close my account and apply for a credit card that will allow me to further improve my credit score, I will have the negative factor of a hard credit inquiry with no line of credit to show for it working against me.

Meh.

Login to Me Too

MegMichelle2013
New Community Member
SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME AND FRUSTRATION, HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, TRY TO TRICK YOU AND MAKE YOU PAY MORE THAN YOU ACYUALLY OWE, IF YOU DO USE THEM, SAVE ALL EMAILS AND STATEMENTS BECAUSE WITHOUT THEM YOU CANT PROVE A THING. BE CAREFUL, I WILL NEVER USE AGAIN AND WILL TRY TO WARN AS MANY AS I CAN. GOOD LUCK!
Login to Me Too

UnP0ssible

Not sure if I'm too late but its bad don't use it they live off the interest charges and will try to get it from you any way possible.  Honestly I don't why how eBay would align themselves with Bill Me Later its just such a scammy system.  I'm sure we can all agree that PayPal was a good aquisition, but BML is like the Cousin Vinny of them...

And if you don't believe me, just look at all the problems people have by viewing all the crap PayPal_Nicole has had to respond to:
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/4752104/post-type/message

Login to Me Too

askingforhelp
Contributor
Contributor

well I am very unhappy with Bill me Later. I have closed my account. I never received billing statements which I requested

through the mail they said that they were sent electronically which I never authorized .

Login to Me Too

I must say I have had a great experience with Bill Me Later and have recommended this service to everyone I know. I did have difficulty at the beginning making my very first payment because I mailed in a money order and it took 8 days to actually post to my account so I received a $25 late payment. I called customer service, let them know my situation that I was unaware it took that long for my payment to process, and they simply waived the late fee! I now know for future reference to mail in my payment at least a week before the due date to ensure it gets there on time, no big deal. Besides that first stumble at the beginning I have been very pleased with this service and Im actually quite suprised there are so many negative reviews. If you spend the time to thoroughly read through the terms and agreement you will have a better understanding of the service, that is what the terms are there for but many people skip through reading those. I actually read the terms and have never had any problems with Bill Me Later. All my purchases with this service have been successful, quick, and very easy! As far as the comment about Bill Me Later "not offering protection like a normal credit card company would" you DO have the buyer protection with Paypal. I purchased a $200 Juicy Couture diaper bag with Bill Me Later that never showed up, I called customer service and disputed it, Bill Me Later refunded the $200 back to my credit line and I was good to go! Also they went above and beyond protecting me from any potentional fraud situations, recently I made a $250 purchase at Champs that consisted of all mens items for my boyfriend, Bill Me Later recognized I was a female purchasing all mens items so the purchase was unauthorized and flagged as being a  suspicious purchase; when i called Bill Me Later customer service they told me they unauthorized it because for my safety because they wanted to make sure it was indeed ME making that purchase of all those mens items and that my account didnt get hacked by someone. I reassured the customer service agent that it was me just purchasing some items for my boyfriend and they immediately authorized it and I was able to finish the transaction! So even though I was suprised by that, I appreciated Bill Me Later going out of their way to make sure it was actually me making that large purchase on items that typically a female would not buy. So this is just a little insight about my experience with Bill Me Later. I will continue to use them for as long as I can and I would definitely recommend this service to anyone!

(Also to the person who posted above me, it says in the terms that they only bill you elecronically rather than by mail. Its not something you can or cant authorize, that is just how it is! Please people always always read the terms prior to signing up for anything! It will save you a lot of time and frustration trust me!)

Login to Me Too

murphyslaww
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a portion of Paypal that doesn't seem to involve them bandying their TOS as a way to make more money ?

I'm wondering what ways I'm going to be stuck with more charges as I close my account.

Login to Me Too

emailnotebox
My experience with BML wasnt good either. I wouldnt use them. I purchased a camera in B&H store using BML. The purchasing part went well, but I couldnt pay them back because they never sent me a bill (no bill via mail, email or over the phone). I called the customer service to find my account with them and make the payment, which became an nightmare experience. On each of those call, rep told me that they will call me back after locating my account. No one did. Sadly, I couldnt pay it on time (even with 6 months of time). Only after 6 months, a rep called me and notified that I owe them interests and fees because of late payment. What a joke. There you have it. I wouldnt use them even if I need quick line of credit. Its not worth getting it from BML looking at the way they are doing business at the moment.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.