Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,979 REPLIES 4,979

Never had  problem until today.  **bleep** PayPal.

Login to Me Too

HelpMePleeeez
Contributor
Contributor

I did finally get help today---via the paypal twitter team.  You can contact them, at least, without logging in.  Eventually, after multiple replies (some of which were just inaccurate), someone called me and managed to get my funds back to me (they're sending a check) and close the fundraising pool I had going.  I was still unable to log into my account, which sucks, and it seems to me an egregious extortion that we are suddenly locked out of existing accounts without giving a mobile phone number---surely we should have access to our existing account info, by law.  But now at least I can stop using the service without caving to their demand or giving up funds.

Up until now I thought PayPal was pretty good, as such companies go.  This move is really crappy, however.

Login to Me Too

KCClark
Contributor
Contributor

Recently sold something on Ebay for the first time in a few years.  Just bought something off Ebay and while I was paying via Paypal, I got a message telling me that my sales money was waiting to be accepted into my Paypal account.  Tried to log into Paypal and hit the mobile phone roadblock.  Searching for a workaround landed me here.  Like others have written, many companies call my landline and give me a code so I can log into my account.  Total crock that Paypal cannot do that. 

I'm guessing the residents of Green Bank, West Virginia are pretty ticked off at Paypal along with the rest of the country where cell phone service does not exist.

Login to Me Too

BYeaz
Contributor
Contributor

So there is no way for me to cancel out of PP??? I will not get a cell for them. So how can I monitor an account that is "open" for fraud when I can't sign on?

They've been bugging me for a long time to add a cell but the only option I had to respond was "not now." Was there some deadline from PP that  I missed?

Login to Me Too

HelpMePleeeez
Contributor
Contributor

There was no warning.

I finally was able to communicate with PayPal about this problem via its twitter account.  But even they couldn't get me logged back in.  (We tried a few tricks.)  They were able to get a check cut to me for the small amount of money I had in my account, and to close a fundraiser I had going.  So perhaps try contacting them that way.

It seems the claim is that this is just a usual-way-of-doing-business mode of second factor authentication, and I guess they don't care about folks who don't have (or don't want to use) a mobile phone.

Login to Me Too

d750

I have a cell phone. I'm just sick and tired of giving out more and more personal information. PayPal has my bank account numbers, my credit card number, my home phone number, my address, my birthday and who knows what else. I spent 30 minute on a customer support call where I was repeatedly told to enter my cell phone number, log in and then opt out of it being used.....no matter how many times I told her I was not giving out my cell number.

I know it is probably foolish to draw the line here. The illusion of privacy should be long gone by now. But I'm not having it. PayPal will not get my cell number and PayPal will no longer get my money. I've already cut ties with Amazon. It was far less painless than I'd thought it would be.

It is time for more of us to stand up to intrusive and oppressive big tech. We can only do it one person at a time.

Login to Me Too

John_Hall99
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal has been nagging me almost every time I carried out a transaction, for what seems like a year, for me to provide them with a mobile number. Not having a mobile phone, I ignored their nagging. Then today for the first time ever it required 2-factor authentication to complete a transaction, but it quite happily did so using my landline, whose number has been in my Paypal user profile all along. It all went smoothly. So that's a relief, but why couldn't they have let people know in advance that their landline number would be acceptable? (I'm in the UK, so that may not be the case in all countries.)

Login to Me Too

brojer55
Contributor
Contributor

why won't paypal send verification code to a landline?  I don't have a cell phone..

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @brojer55,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, most landlines cannot receive text messages or SMS and this is why we cannot send the verification code to a landline number. If you cannot complete the verification, please reach out to our Customer Service directly. If you want to contact our Customer Service, you can click ‘Help & Contact’ at the bottom of any PayPal page to see which options are available. You can also contact us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/PayPal) or on Twitter (@AskPayPal).

I hope this helps.

Martina 

Login to Me Too

007Genius
Contributor
Contributor

Owing to a health problem I am housebound and have landline (with 4 satellite phones) and a trusty computer to keep in contact with the world.   I HAVE NO REASON TO HAVE A "MOBILE" PHONE.

Do I have to dump PayPal for my online shopping for evermore.?   

Why can't they send the authentication code to my landline?

(and why do they have such a silly layout for these emails...if i make a mistake I have to re-type the whole sentence again)

Bah Humbug and Bibi to PayPal.

AnneB

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.