New to the community? Welcome! Please read our Community Rules and Guidelines
Pay, shop, and do even more on the PayPal appGet the App
My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile.
Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.
I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.
Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.
Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.
Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!
Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter:
I created my first paypal account last year and I forgot my password and lost my phone number too. Can I still recover my account?
It may be possible if you did setup your account security questions and answers - with that info, customer service may be able to help.
1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.
2. Use the forgotten password option several times.
3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).
4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.
5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.
If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.
Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...
1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.
I have the very same issue, going round and round in circles. No longer have the mobile phone number used for authentication, so cannot log in to ask for assistance!
Every option takes me to two step authentication and asks me to accept a text to a number I no longer have.
If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.
I panicked when it seemed I was going around and round in circles trying to log in and getting the same message about texting a number I no longer have.
I contacted the customer service department by telephone and they sorted my issue in under five minutes - the longest part of the call was me explaining my issue, I am sure they got the gist of it in seconds, but were polite and did not interrupt me.
They sent me a text to my new phone, just to confirm I was who I said I was, then changed my number for the account to my new telephone, Charles then stayed on the call with me until I had logged in to make sure everything was okay.
Super impressed! Thank you again for the reply.