Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Altrius 

1. https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/contact-us     
  2. Click Password and account access.    
  3. Click Login problems.    
  4. Click Call Us after “This information might help” box.
  5. Call customer service number without logging in during business hours.

Or reach out to PayPal at Facebook or Twitter:    

https://www.facebook.com/PayPal    

Twitter: @AskPayPal    

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Rhodel
New Community Member

Hi guy,

I created my first paypal account last year and I forgot my password and lost my phone number too. Can I still recover my account? 

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

It may be possible if you did setup your account security questions and answers - with that info, customer service may be able to help.

Login to Me Too

Lucian94
New Community Member

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lucian94 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option several times.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pointless2020
Contributor
Contributor

what utter rubbish!

Login to Me Too

Lynks101
This is absolutely *#*# I know my email and my password, but my phone number has changed. But because of two step verification, PayPal wants to verify my identity by either texting my old number ... Or calling my old number. I've tried changing my password, still wants two step verification - doesnt help. To contact customer services you need to login - doesn't help I've tried calling customer services, some random number that isn't valid - doesn't help I've tried complaining, wants me to login and doesn't help. I don't have Twitter or Facebook nor do I want them so that doesn't help At this point I'm going to abandon my PayPal account because PayPal have made it so difficult to change something that should be simple, they clearly don't care about their customers
Login to Me Too

David_Barron_UK
Contributor
Contributor

I have the very same issue, going round and round in circles. No longer have the mobile phone number used for authentication, so cannot log in to ask for assistance!

Every option takes me to two step authentication and asks me to accept a text to a number I no longer have.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@David_Barron_UK 

If you go to the 'Help & Contact' icon on the PayPal website. Then if you click the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the page. From here, if you click the 'Password and Account Access' option, then 'Login Problems'. On the next page, you will see a 'Call Us' option. You do not need to be logged in to use this feature.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

David_Barron_UK
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

I panicked when it seemed I was going around and round in circles trying to log in and getting the same message about texting a number I no longer have.

I contacted the customer service department by telephone and they sorted my issue in under five minutes - the longest part of the call was me explaining my issue, I am sure they got the gist of it in seconds, but were polite and did not interrupt me.

They sent me a text to my new phone, just to confirm I was who I said I was, then changed my number for the account to my new telephone, Charles then stayed on the call with me until I had logged in to make sure everything was okay.

Super impressed! Thank you again for the reply.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.