Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,948 REPLIES 4,948

Also having this problem. I physically cannot afford a mobile phone bill right now, so paypal has locked me out of my account for being too poor.

Login to Me Too

Xe5436
Contributor
Contributor

They did this a while back. You have to call customer service and have them remove "Add Mobile Phone" block so you can access your account. PayPal is trying to harvest mobile phones.

Login to Me Too

hsuminto
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I have just received a payment to an email address that I have never used for PayPal anymore. I have another PayPal account that I regularly use.

When I tried to login using that email address, I typed in correct password and was prompted with the second factor authentication (token sent to a mobile number). Unfortunately I don't own that mobile number anymore. So I clicked another way and was prompted that PayPal will call a number and I am to type in the numbers shown on the screen on my mobile (when I received the call). Interestingly, the mobile number shown there is different to the one shown for SMS token and I still use that mobile number. So I went ahead but I never received the call. 

Then I start again with the login screen, hoping that this time will work. Unfortunately, this time when I click another way, PayPal just said that it can't log me in. I tried to reset my password successfully hoping that will help but am always stuck on the same step (2FA). Should I somehow can get PayPal to send the SMS token to the mobile number used for call verification then I should be okay.

Anyone could suggest some solution? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

neliaE
Contributor
Contributor

I lost the phone where I have the two factor authentication pointing to. Called Customer Support and was informed that I would have to create a new account, and then transfer all activity to that number, then PayPal would close the old account. Problem, until the old account is closed PayPal is required to honor your preset transactions or accept incoming charges. The is no reason that PayPal associates couldn't access your account as long as you have the other appropriate identifiers to insure you're accessing your account and be able to turn off the two factor authentication. So, now I need to contact PayPal about an unknown charge, and I don't know if I'll get the assistance I need to rectify this situation. So, if you're wanting PayPal to help you resolve it, good luck!!

Login to Me Too

Bluwu
Contributor
Contributor

I can’t get access to my paypal because it wants me to add a mobile number. Problem is, I don’t have one. What on earth am I to do? How do I bypass this?

Login to Me Too

roofgardener
New Community Member

Has anyone found a solution to this ? I've just had a message from Paypal that - without a mobile phone - I will no longer be able to access my account ?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Bluwu and @roofgardener,

Thanks for posting in relation to this issue.

Unfortunately it is not currently possible to use PayPal without a mobile phone number attached to your account. This does not need to be a smartphone, a basic mobile will do. We use mobile verification as a means of confirming your identity when you are accessing your account.

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Jake103
Contributor
Contributor

I'm with OP, I dont have a mobile phone and i wont get one, not for paypal, not for any company and not even for my boss.

I dont want to be carying around a GPS tracking device everywhere I go constantly listening to what I say.

I dont want the governement to be able to access my life history of something I might has said or done in the past because they changed the law and no longer hold the same values as me.

I dont want to be a target of investigation and constant survalence because I know a friend whos brother married a girl and her father has ties to an underground drug ring.

I don't want people who are not my friend to be able to unsoliciatly contact me without my permission for the purpose of trying to sell me that new thing they do that i dont care about.

In the age of data, I dont exist.

Login to Me Too

Destiny68
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you my mother is an OP she doesn't want a mobile phone, I don't want to give this company my mobile and I won't if that means I can't use paypal in the future then so be it. I think we all have a freedom of choice and that choice should not be stolen or enforced by any company. Its my choice and I will stick by my choice, and I hope others will not be bullied into handing over information they do not want to share.

Login to Me Too

Harumixx213
Contributor
Contributor
Hi i can help you with this issue regarding the OTP just recently I find an solution, I just want to share this.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.