Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Arcansel
Contributor
Contributor
I solved my problem, go to this link https://www.paypal.com/signin?returnUri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.com%2Fmyaccount%2Fsettings&state=%2... Login in your account if it asks for your phone number after that repaste the link above and enter it, if everything goes okay you should reach your account settings and change your phone number to be able to acess your paypal funds section of your account.
Login to Me Too

londonerese
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyouthankyouthankyouuuuuuu! It worked. You proved more effective than any of them PayPal community advisors / administrators. Stay cool 🙂

Login to Me Too

Arcansel
Contributor
Contributor
I m glad it worked i was afraid it could work only for me, it seems that paypal separates the account settings from the usual fund management section we are so used to work with for some reason and as far i know it s not explained anywhere how to acess it in these situations i would advise paypal to do something about it to make it easier and clearer for people to acess their account settings instead of their usual login section to deal with similar problems in the future and to revise their authentification method to prevent these situations.
Login to Me Too

nuhjeea
Contributor
Contributor

How did this method work for you guys?

It keeps asking for one-time code being sent phone number and I have to hit "continue". I tried pasting your link and going there but then I just get the error message:

"Something went wrong on our end
We're sorry, we're having some trouble completing your request right now. Please try again shortly."

Login to Me Too

Arcansel
Contributor
Contributor
Try this: Go to go google type "paypal account settings" press enter, in the first option that shows copy the link then enter that same first option, login like usual, in here should appear the phone number authentication screen, paste the link earlier and press enter while on this same page, do not exit the phone number authentication page and then paste the link this is important, after this should appear your paypal account settings where you can change your phone number and solve your problem. If this still doesnt work for you try in a diferent browser, i used Chrome for this. If it still gives you same error i advise you to try later as it can really be a issue in paypal end.
Login to Me Too

nuhjeea
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for trying, but still not working. Instead of getting error now, I just get redirected to log in again and when I input my information, the next page is just the phone text verification page again.

Login to Me Too

Arcansel
Contributor
Contributor
It is strange that you are redirected to login page because you are suposed to be logged in already it shouldnt redirect you to login again. Are you sure you re pasting the link when you are at the phone text verification page and not at the login page? If thats the case it makes sense what you re saying, other than that i really dunno what else to do to try to help you.
Login to Me Too

Col83
New Community Member

Yes, looks like paypal read thos thread and patched their unsafe site lol. Only way to solve this issue now is to call paypal, what a bunch of muppets ey. ou would think you could use a link to reset your damn number but no, paypal got to make things hard.

Login to Me Too

KaneB

That doesn't work either keeps saying the same **bleep** thing?!

Login to Me Too

KaneB
That ain't working for me just done a reset and it still wants to send a verification to my old number?!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.