Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

c1a
Contributor
Contributor

I no longer have the phone number (landline) registered to the account and now when I try to log in I am asked to verify it is me by taking a call but the number is no longer active. So I get the following error.

We're sorry, we couldn't confirm it's you.

Need a hand? We can help

I tried the message centre and first agent said make new account? (yes they really did)
I tried again an hour later and the second agent said phone up.
I try to phone up, and I am told by the long and drawn out automated system after endless steps that they currently cannot help me right now please check online help and then the line goes dead (unbelievably frustrating) so seem stuck in a pointless paypal loop.

Login to Me Too

DaphneZ
Contributor
Contributor

Same here... They taking the pi** with their customers. Terrible service.

Login to Me Too

EwanBrown967
Contributor
Contributor

Some 'numpty' at Paypal has not thought about this very much!

Login to Me Too

JoCaBa
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, Olivia. SImply saying that the ability to receive an SMS message is a requirement for logging on is not an answer to the problem.

Do you, personally, think it is acceptable that people who do not have a mobile phone should be unable to use PayPal?

Do you think that people who live in areas where there is no mobile phone signal should be unable to use Paypal?

Surely the whole point of Paypal is supposed to be that anyone can use it anywhere - that is, after all, what Paypal's advertising tells us.

Login to Me Too

Eei2
Contributor
Contributor
Why don’t you send me the code to my new number then? Could you please answer the real question - how we can get into our own accounts after changing the phone number?!
Login to Me Too

jimiblu
Contributor
Contributor

Have you had any luck regarding logging in?

Login to Me Too

Jlbon
Contributor
Contributor
That's all very well, but when you have all the required services, but you don't have the same number... How can this be resolved.. it isn't a difficult thing to implement a second line of authentication.. maybe try a secret question, and pet's name, via a link to the original email to recover.. and enter new number, bingo.. still secure.. but no lost customers...
Login to Me Too

Jonywoker
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I need to contact somebody from paypal members i cant access to my paypal acc its locked and i cant enter and also paypal dont send me sms code of mobile phone.plz do fast respons

Login to Me Too

Kuriologist
Contributor
Contributor

Am housebound disabled in an area with NO mobile phone coverage & DO NOT OWN a mobile phone.

Due to PSD2 regulations do I have to close my Paypal account?

Is this Disability discrimination?

Login to Me Too

vico1
Contributor
Contributor

I am not disabled thankfully, I too can't get a mobile signal so don't have a mobile and only use a landline

I have been forced to give my daughterd mobile number (she lives 200 miles away) I got a stupid e mail from paypal to say they had removed my land line number, the same one they have contacted me on many times and replaced it with my daughters mobile number. Can someone please explain the sense in this.  The UK has left the EU dictatorship, we should no longer be subjected to their dictatorial rules. I am currently looking for other ways to pay and ***** paypal  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.