Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,974 REPLIES 4,974

POCF
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, that didn't work either 😞 honestly, how hard would it have been to add alternative validation methods for PSD2 in the first place }:(

Login to Me Too

tabulate
Contributor
Contributor

Changing password will log you in, but you will not be able to change the phone number because PayPal automatically logs you out after a few seconds. Try changing password by going to "partners & developers", that worked for me. I had to answer security questions, and then PayPal offered me to enter a mobile number. Hope that works for you too. Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Z88
Contributor
Contributor
This was a pain in the you know what, for anyone else having this issue try this no: 0203 901 7000. Landlines only one is 0800 358 7911. open mon to sun 8am to 6:30pm and you have to say cannot log in when prompted and you will get through to someone, finally got it sorted in 5 mins.
Login to Me Too

Pettt69
Contributor
Contributor

YEYEYE!
Hi. I felt the same, but this issue may be solved easyly. You can contact PayPay via an exist account. If you write them without account, you will not get answer. My girlfriend had this issue, and i wrote message from my account. Help desk answered within some hours. The best way to solve your problem is via "the logged out chat". Yeah it is difficult to find. I tell you how to reach them:

1. Go to https://www.paypal.com/sk/smarthelp/home
(it is for europeans, for americans only the american paypal can help)
2. At almost bottom click on Contact Us -Contact Customer Service
3. From 'common issues' (normally you are there now) select 'Password and account issues'
4. Click to 'login problems'
5. Scroll down and click on the 'message us' bubble.
and now the important part:
6. There is in the pop up window 'chat us while logged out'

Now you can chat with someone (due covid-19, try it before noon, they don't work fulltime now)
If you can tell them your account e-mail, full name, the old number added in account, and you can verify yourself they will ask the last 4 digit of your credit card in a "security box" (the numbers will not be visible), you win.

!!!One important thing: after you verify yourself, they can change your phone number in your account (with a code sent to your new number), but because of security reasons, you can log in first only using internet (IP) from the origin country where your account created and set. !.ONLY.! If you live abroad, and you can not travel home, and cannot ask your trustable parents/brother at home to log in instead of you (uhm, it is not official 😉 ), you CAN NOT SOLVE your issues.!!!

Login to Me Too

Hienzei
How can I change my old number to log in and it’s the only option I have to log in to my account
Login to Me Too

rokaspokas47
Contributor
Contributor

None of the above worked for me. But I found a way!

A WAY WHERE YOU CAN CHAT WITH LIVE PAYPAL PEOPLE:

Go to: You can find the CHAT OPTION to reach them by going to https://paypal.com, scrolling to the bottom of the page and selecting Help and Contact >> Contact Us >> then clicking "Password and account access">> then "Login problems">> then scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find a BUTTON "MESSAGE US"

Then I was introduced to a lovely customer person Simona and she helped me with changing numbers with working one and she might assist you in many other ways. 

Login to Me Too

dv990
Contributor
Contributor

They are lying when they say that this issue has a solution, it's not working for many people that are still stuck in an endless loop.

The loop is described in more detail (and constructively) here: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/Account-unusable-due-to-PSD2-authentication-phone-num...

People should remember that helpers which post an incorrect answer, or insufficient for many users that are still stuck, are not to blame. PayPal just engineered this bad situation, and without official response to this widespread issue they are running away from their responsibilities after implementing some system (PSD2) while being shortsighted and not willing to solve problems arising from it. Denying the affected customers any form of support by a human, which is the only way to solve it.

Live Chat isn't available for me, or perhaps not in my entire country. For getting support you need to be signed in with the account that you need support for. This is the summarisation of the endless loop (deadlock) it causes, but for more details, again, please read the attached topic link.

Some tech journalists need to write about this scandalous treatment and depriving of people's money by PayPal Inc.

Login to Me Too

jakub_p

Same problem here, and it is really absurd how everything what should be helpful is locked behind that authentication and it's almost funny how you can even change your password with an e-mail, but you can't change phone number with it. I hope there will be some not complicated solution soon.

Login to Me Too

Rosswell
New Community Member

Hi there! I can't access my account because the system ask me to verify that is me, they will send me a SMS but the number that is register, I have changed it,  a long time ago and never updated and apparently is the only way for me to authenticate. Please can you tell me what can I do? 

Login to Me Too

jmarc_38
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

hello, @Rosswell 

why speak in english, with a paypal account opened in france?
you must be a French resident, right?
for your number, there is an obligation to keep it up to date, now you will need to contact paypal customer service.
a paypal customer advisor will need to verify your account and identity before they can help you.
good luck /

from help and contact, at the bottom of the paypal pages /

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.