Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Destiny68
Contributor
Contributor

Its about freedom of choice and if a company thinks it can take away our freedom of choice, then that company needs to think again.

Login to Me Too

CalZoo
Contributor
Contributor

This is a ridiculous new policy.  Cell phones are not an option for many people.  Some don't have them; others may not have reliable service in their area.  I fall in to both of those categories.

Just about every other company I deal with that requires verification uses email verification as an option.  Paypal need to add email verification.  If it works for my credit card company, the Gas Company, the electric company, etc., it will work for paypal.

Login to Me Too

heyJude3
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar problem.  I changed my phone number when I moved then when I tried to log in it went through a two step process and sent a message to the old phone number.  Try as I might I cannot get around this issue and can no longer access my account.  I have tried calling but never get through to a person, I just get cut off. VERY FRUSTRATING

Login to Me Too

folly43
New Community Member

I have no need or have any intention of buying a mobile phone. 

What annoys me further is PayPal state it is an EU regulation - well the good people of the UK voted to leave the EU, mainly because of all these regulation.

Login to Me Too

The problem are still not solve. I have a cellphone for listen music or using internet but no call. (don't have number)

But i'm not going to pay for a line or service just to have paypall.

I have a landline why not to send a code on it. Or by e-mail.

It's unfair.

I shop a lot online and some of them have just paypall option.

What can I do more. Just because i can't receive your SMS !?

I have money. I have credit card.  i have bank account. I have a landline phone#. I have an adress... I have an e-mail adress too.

Give more options !!!! You want information no problem!? But no SMS!!!!

What can I do !???????

Tks

Login to Me Too

IamaRotarian
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal, please consider allowing your customers a choice in sending your security codes via the PP account-holder's email addresss or a cell phone.

I'm helping a PP account-holder - who has no cell phone, but does have a computer - by negotiating a mutually agreeable phone meeting date/time, we connect via phone (one cell, one land-line), he clicks a PayPal link to access Iforgetwhat. He clicks the link, it generates a confirmation code that comes to my cell phone, & I tell him over the phone what the code is. He enters it, it works, he calms down, and life goes on 'til the next time. Bizzare but true.

There are more bizzare but true problems we're having with our PayPal account, including my email address unexpectedly winding up on our account, changing all of our users' passwords to the same password, but that - and other problems - are for another topic.

Please, give us customers a security-code-via-email option.

Thanks for listening.

Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

"Who the heck thinks this is a solution to solve the problem saying SOLVED!! As posted top of page!!"

The thread was marked solved by an administrator ... PayPal_Rajesh on the 24th of August I suspect they are hoping the thread will go away !!!

Login to Me Too

truely horrible design paypal.  Let me access my money without adding a mobile number.  Why require this?  Fraud?  Lame excuse.

Login to Me Too

55hunter

I bought something on ebay through paypal. It worked, I just never recieved my stuff. Since I dont have a cell phone I cat get a confirmation number.No one you can call. No more Ebay No more Pay pal

Login to Me Too

Jdtran75
In addition to not being helpful to non mobile phone holders- I’m military stationed overseas and do not have a stateside number—your app won’t let me enter an international number either...so now my money is stuck.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.