Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

lizsammyo
Contributor
Contributor
Somebody help. I cant login and get money because i dont have old number. Its on 2 step verification and i can log in email ABD VERIFY but i changed my number. No one responding to my msg or i have to log in to the account TO SEE RESPONSE which is WHY I HAVE THE PROBLEM NO WAY OF CONTACTING ANYONE i need my money. I need to talk to agent no forum or common issues will fix this HELP ME.
Login to Me Too

ramberroya
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi, What is 2-step verification? You can add an extra layer of security to your PayPal account by enabling 2-step verification for log in. Once this feature is activated, we’ll send you a unique, random 6-digit access code each time you try to log in. Simply enter this code to access your account. There are two ways to set up 2-step verification. You can use an authenticator app (like Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator) or you can ask us to send text messages to your mobile phone. Here's how to set it up: Go to your Settings. Click Security. Click Set Up next to “2-step verification.” Choose to receive a text or use an authenticator app, then click Next. Follow the prompts to link your phone or authenticator app. Set up a back-up method in case you can’t access your primary cell or authenticator app. Click Done to activate 2-step verification. You can deactivate 2-step verification at any time: Go to your Settings. Click Security. Click Update next to “2-step verification.” Click Turn Off next to 2-step verification, then the Turn It Off button. For added protection, you can also add 2-step verification to other devices. Since you can no longer access the phone number. You may want to set up new email account and create a brand new paypal account and you will link the phone number you have access to. Hope this will resolve your issue. Thank you,
Login to Me Too

stewart18
New Community Member

Isn't it obvious that you can't do this as you need the old phone number to log in because of "duh" you guessed it, "Two step authentication/verification"??? MY mind boggles that paypal support cannot fix this issue and that the support staff can't seem to answer the question. I have the same issue on an old account. Changed phone numbers, account was set up for 2 step verification, can't log in. It's not rocket science Pay Pal!!! I had the same issue with Shopify and they solved my issue by allowing me to send a scan of my driver license, all encrypted. They temporarily removed the 2 step authetication, I went in changed my phone number and then set up the 2 step verification. Easy. 

Login to Me Too

Andrew0906
New Community Member

Its ok saying all the above PayPal employee, BUT the problem is getting into the account by trying to pass the authentication page with the old phone number that we CAN NOT up-date on our settings, because we can not get passed the authentication page... we are going round & round in circles PayPal...this needs fixing ASAP... Why is there no link to an email on the authentication page, so we can enter our account, then we can change the mobile number once in, then you can send a code to the new mobile number so you know who it is....simple!! it's not rocket science. please help we Meer humans that want to access our Paypal account...

Login to Me Too

Almo1950
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot log in because PayPal is trying to verify me by messaging an old mobile phone number which does not exist anymore...

Login to Me Too

lizsammyo
Contributor
Contributor
HOW CAN I RECEIVE MY MONEY THAT I GOT FROM SELLING ON EBAY. IT WAS SENT TO THE OLD PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND I DONT HAVE THE OLD PHONE NUMBER. I CANT GO INTO SETTINGS IF I CANT LOG IN
Login to Me Too

jedelmania

I just had this issue and managed to find a workaround.

Do a password reset. It will automatically send a code to your email address. Once you have changed your password, you'll be able to log in without being forced to use the phone number. You can then change the phone number on your profile or disable 2 factor authentication.

Login to Me Too

londonerese
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, @jedelmania ,  but your method doesn't seem to work in my case. When I ask to reset my password, nothing is sent to my email automatically. I end up with the info that they need additional information to confirm it's me, and they insist on confirming my phone number, which is obviusly no longer valid, or even active. Also, I tried to contact PayPal via their Facebook site - no response. I am no longer a UK resident, and I still cannot close my UK Paypal account due to the darn inactive phone number, which is linked to my UK account. I even contacted PayPal team in my current country of residence, but they replied that I have to solve my problem via the British PayPal help centre. Losing hope... Can anyone help???

Login to Me Too

Arcansel
Contributor
Contributor
Same problem here, how does paypal expect us to login with old phone numbers? Even worse why not have a diferent autentication method? As in sending the autentication code to another email like some other companies do??? My account is going to be force closed because i cant login...what a disaster.
Login to Me Too

londonerese
Contributor
Contributor

Are you absolutely sure your account is going to be force closed as a result of you not being able to log in? I personally wouldn't mind if that was the only drawback of the situation of not being able to get verified via the no-longer active phone number. However, I'm worried that from 16 December (change in  PayPal Terms & Conditions) they will start taking the inactivity fee off my bank account linked to the PayPal account as a result of me not being able to log in and show any activity on it. And that is where this vicious circle has its evil loop...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.