Paypal Holding Money For 72 Hours!

AngryIain
Contributor
Contributor

So I recently created a paypal account just for the sake of one payment. My landlord in China couldnt bank transfer me my deposit back or western union me it so she suggested paypal. I create the account and she transfers the funds. The funds clear and I click withdraw. I get the notice that it may take up to two hours for the transfer to complete and I click confirm. After I click confirm I get the message saying it will take up to 72 hours. I have verified my bank, all details are correct so please may i know the reason for the "Paypal Review"? Are you just holding on to people's money in order to gain the interest to turn a higher profit or are you doing it to just be unreasonable. Surely you can see all the other user's angry comments on the site so why not try to resolve the matter or give an explanation as to the reasoning why? If paypal wants to remain the powerhouse of online money transfer I suggest they start caring about their customers more. Some people make a living off paypal and they need that money a lot faster than 72 hours. Resolve this paypal.

Login to Me Too
108 REPLIES 108

Kate57
Contributor
Contributor

I have an update on my payment.  Despite being told twice on two separate days that my buyer needed to mark as received in Paypal, my buyer couldn't actually find anywhere in Paypal to mark as received so I rang Paypal again this evening and the lady I spoke to was also  unable to understand why, with the tracking information, it had not been already released.

She went off and put me on hold and when she came back the payment is no longer on  hold in Paypal.  

So I am totally unable to understand why other Paypal people I spoke to told me about this "new rule" which seems not to actually exist.

Of course I haven't withdrawn it yet to my bank so it might go pending again shortly.  I am plucking up courage to try.

-------------

Update - got Internal server error in red on withdrawal page when trying to withdraw.

However, withdrawal request must have gone through - but guess what - withdrawal is now pending .... what a shock.  Not!   Have had no email with a timescale so ... here we go again.  

--------

So a recap - payment made into my account on the 22nd.  Item send Special Delivery on the 23rd.  Signed for as delivered (tracking in both Paypal and Ebay) on 24th.   Buyer leaves positive feedback.

Paypal giving me the run around with various responses in date available.

Paypal release the hold on 30 November after a 5th phone call requesting it.

Paypal put withdrawal of funds to bank on hold saying 3-4 days in the transaction in Paypal.    That;'s 96 hours worst case (I hope) scenario.  

Original phone call said payment should have been available on the 26th.

============

Another update : transfer for bank now completed.  Unbelievable experience Paypal.  (and not in a good way).

Login to Me Too

D3LT4_3283
New Community Member

Well I have to admit that this 72 hour thing is BS to make intrest from my cash. It certainly dont take upto 72 hours when your paying paypal for anything. He Elon I want MY cash released today I am revpking the right for you and your company to use it .

Login to Me Too

tedevicetest
New Community Member

If you are in the UK it is the Financial Ombudsman and their website is http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

You can also complain to the FCA, Financial Conduct Authority, who regulate the financial services in the UK https://www.fca.org.uk/

Login to Me Too

AmandaJL
Contributor
Contributor
It's not just payments from eBay they hold though. Up until recently, just about all withdrawals I made went into my bank account instantly. The last 2, 1 a refund from an online store that I used PayPal for as I couldn't be bothered in getting my bank card and the 2nd a payment from GetMeIn for concert tickets I sold. Now, firstly GetMeIn do not pay you for your sold tickets until after the concert & then payment is released 10 days after the event to make sure you didn't sell fake tickets etc. So I finally get an email from GetMeIn saying payment has been made only to get the PayPal 72hour email. It's my money & nothing to do with PayPal! Also, my refund from an online store PayPal. What right do you have to hold it!? I know this is an old thread but seems it still goes on. Oh & ive had an account for over 3 months & have previously withdrawn higher amounts & received instantly so I don't think the amount or time you've had an account has anything to do with it either One very F**ked off person!
Login to Me Too

WeNeedAnAlt
Contributor
Contributor

Same bs here I sold 3 items on ebay 5 days ago for a total of £900 all 3 were sent via parcelforce with traking and arrived the following day. The buyers have left feedback.

All 3 payments were put on hold, 2 were released last night but the third is on hold until Feb 9th, this is total and utter bs, items posted and arrived tracking and feedback prove it yet these clowns want to hold my money till Feb 9th.

To make matters worse the two payments which did clear I withdrew earlier was told two hours but ohh not they are both now listed to clear in 3-4 working days this company really is the pits.

We need an alt and fast, someone could make big bank by taking these scumbags out of the game.

Login to Me Too

AmandaJL
Contributor
Contributor
I spoke to someone on PayPal's Facebook page as someone suggested & go nowhere. They told me it's my banks clearance times. Rubbish!!! It's PayPal holding the money!!
Login to Me Too

WeNeedAnAlt
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed it is paypal holding it. Scum. If I did this with soemones funds I'd be arrested for theft but because a company does it, it's fine total bs.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Guys,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum.

Our internal security system may delay a withdrawal and there are many possible reasons for this. We would not know the exact reason why a withdrawal has been held but the maximum time-frame for a withdrawal hold is 72 hours.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

HallDesigns
Contributor
Contributor

Siobhan,

EVERY withdrawal? Over 20 withdrawals, eahc 'randomly' reviewed for exactly 48 hours? You have no problem taking your fees or any Working Capital repayments do you? How are these ok to take if it's under review? Please reply to me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.