Scammed through Depop

ohems
New Community Member

I recently purchased an iPhone through Depop for £300, made sure to check with the seller that they would send next day signed for/tracked delivery and paid safely through depop/paypal with buyer protection. The phone did not arrive after 2 days even though the seller said they'd send it next day-delivery, and upon trying to message them to ask for the tracking number, they had deleted the item listing AND their account altogether making them unreachable. 

I've since opened a dispute, which went straight to a claim as the 'seller was unavailable to respond'. This makes it sound like they've probably deleted their paypal account too?

I have screenshots of all the messages sent between me and the seller, as well as screenshots of their deleted account etc. but I'm can't seem to upload them to the claim. I'm now waiting for the seller to respond but I highly doubt they will if they've gone ahead and deleted all their accounts. Is it likely that I'll win my money back without the screenshots attached? Because surely if they sent it next day signed for delivery they'd be able to provide proof of postage/tracking number from Royal Mail online etc which I haven't had...

Sorry for the massive post but I'm panicking a lot, £300 is a lot for a student to get scammed out of!! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As long as you met the criteria for buyer protection ie sent the payment via goods/services or paid an invoice etc you should be ok.

Paypal give the seller 10 days to provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to you and if not then you should get your refund, if the seller does not refund then paypal does under their buyer protection scheme.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As long as you met the criteria for buyer protection ie sent the payment via goods/services or paid an invoice etc you should be ok.

Paypal give the seller 10 days to provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to you and if not then you should get your refund, if the seller does not refund then paypal does under their buyer protection scheme.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ohems
New Community Member

I definitely sent the payment through depop instant pay as goods/services thank god! - made sure not to do it through friends & family because I know people get scammed that way so often.

Ah that's brilliant thank you so much, you've put my mind at ease!! 

Login to Me Too

Rachaeld1802
Contributor
Contributor
Can anyone help me? I listed an item on depop and some one messaged me saying what's your pay pal i will pay and for next day delivery and can I send it to 'their Mrs address' They did so I sent it next day delivery. A week later they have opened a dispute saying this was an unauthorised payment? The person was on the only payment made into my account at the time and I have proof of messages and recipet Wich I have uploaded into my case. Does anybody know if I will get my £90 back? As know I have lost out on an item and money when I haven't done anything wrong? The person paid via goods as PayPal took a percentage. Really confused how this can happen. Also the depop profile has blocked me. Any help would be great thanks
Login to Me Too

jacksbroo7
Contributor
Contributor

hi  i went to my bank and told them i would like a charge back from the account holder the seller gave me on depop message service, i then called action fraud police and got a crime number depop support team are total useless, my son have reported this seller 3 times my daughter have also reported this seller, and so have 2 other people that have depop accounts, as far as i am concern it was not a gift payment the bank details were given to me to buy a item from depop, this account holder should be made responsible to refund my money they have required money through deception

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rachaeld1802

You lost any seller protection by sending to another address than the paypal registered address of the buyer.

If you had met seller protection paypal would have reimbursed you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Rachaeld1802
Contributor
Contributor
So there is basically nothing I can do I have lost my item and the money? That's so bad, the other person must know exactly what they have done
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rachaeld1802

It all hangs on whether paypal agree that the transaction was unauthorised.

If they do not then you may win.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Steph25
New Community Member

Hi,

I had a similar thing happen to me through eBay a few years ago with some concert tickets, the seller had completely deleted their account after I'd sent money but eBay refunded me the money as I had buyer protection etc... it took a couple of weeks but they resolved it in the end!  I'm sure Depop will have that policy too... good luck!!

Login to Me Too

samhain13
New Community Member

i have recently been conned out of 440 pounds by a scammer using paypal and depop.i answered an add on facebook on how to earn money using your paypal account.basicly the scammer made payments into my paypal account and i had to upload a percentage to his bank account and i was supposed to keep 25 percent.unknown to me he had placed adds on depop selling trainers using my paypal adress so when the items did not arrive i was subject to a chargeback.i have contacted paypal who could do nothing for me so i contacted the police who are currently looking unto it.for anyone who is interested the guy doing the scam is still onfacebook his name is kai hunt and accordng to his profile works in lloyds bank in birmingham.please do not fall for this kind of scam like i did

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.