Scammed through Depop

ohems
New Community Member

I recently purchased an iPhone through Depop for £300, made sure to check with the seller that they would send next day signed for/tracked delivery and paid safely through depop/paypal with buyer protection. The phone did not arrive after 2 days even though the seller said they'd send it next day-delivery, and upon trying to message them to ask for the tracking number, they had deleted the item listing AND their account altogether making them unreachable. 

I've since opened a dispute, which went straight to a claim as the 'seller was unavailable to respond'. This makes it sound like they've probably deleted their paypal account too?

I have screenshots of all the messages sent between me and the seller, as well as screenshots of their deleted account etc. but I'm can't seem to upload them to the claim. I'm now waiting for the seller to respond but I highly doubt they will if they've gone ahead and deleted all their accounts. Is it likely that I'll win my money back without the screenshots attached? Because surely if they sent it next day signed for delivery they'd be able to provide proof of postage/tracking number from Royal Mail online etc which I haven't had...

Sorry for the massive post but I'm panicking a lot, £300 is a lot for a student to get scammed out of!! 

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

jacksbroo7
Contributor
Contributor

yer i recently brought a iphone from depop from a LISA THOMAS, she kept telling me it had been posted, then she offered me a refund still waiting refund but she as relisted the iphone, when i brought the phone is sent me a mitchell mcoy paypal address, and used friends and family, PLEASE BEWARE OF THIS SELLER, as the iphone is still listed for sale,

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jacksbroo7

Why would you send a gift payment to a stranger for a purchase?

If you had sent it as goods / services you could have filed a claim and got your money back.

HOWEVER if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jacksbroo7
Contributor
Contributor

we are still messaging each other this is were it is getting silly at first she said she will ask the post office of it's whereabouts, only tuesday she said she would refund me back into my bank account, she is still sending messages to my son and daughter through their depop account i have now filed a complaint with depop also with police it's all been saved in messages reciept of payment made, just do not understand she is basically holding on to a item that she as admitted to selling to me

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jacksbroo7

If nothing works then re-read the final sentence in my post above if it applies.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jacksbroo7
Contributor
Contributor

i have already contacted my bank and the police have issued me with a crime number which i have given to my bank, hopefully they can get some or all my money back, it's a shame these people do that especialy when you do get geniune sellers, but a hard lesson learnt thankyou for your help will keep you posted on the out come

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jacksbroo7

Good luck.

2 tips >>

1. Always fund your paypal payments via a credit card.

2. Always use goods/services for purchases.

Hope you get your money back.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.