New/Beta Resolution Center

bellamh
Contributor
Contributor

I am a seller with my own website who accepts PayPal.  Recently, I've been moved to the New or Beta version of the Resolution Center, which apparently has an integrated messaging function for buyers.  Except that, buyers don't know that messages aren't really messages - they are simply disputes by another name.  Buyers legitimately trying to ask me a question about their order - I sell handmade goods so there's a production time involved - get lumped in with anyone who has a real problem.  Worse yet, it's the same process as a dispute: the funds are held and everything until there's a resolution.  The customers whose problems are resolved don't even know to come back and close the dispute because they don't even know they filed one, meaning PayPal holds the money for 20 days.

Is anyone else on the new resolution center that allows this?  Is anyone else experiencing an uptick in -- what to sellers we know as - cases?

I've contacted PayPal and I've been told that this is indeed the intended behavior.  Messages and disputes are essentially the same now.  I've even received emails back from buyers stating that they had no idea they were filing disputes - they just clicked on a button that said Contact Seller and jumped through the hoops to send me a message.

Anyone else?  I can't be the only one.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi bellamh,

Thanks for joining the PayPal Community and welcome!

I appreciate your concern about the new design and changes in how we describe disputes.   For many years, the dispute process has been designed as a way for a buyer to communicate with a seller regarding a purchase prior to a full investigation (a claim) being opened with PayPal.  The dispute process does still create a hold and if the buyer or seller can't reach an amicable resolution, both parties have the option to escalate the dispute to a PayPal claim.

The best recommendation we can make to help avoid disputes (and claims) is to make it easy for customers to have the option to contact you directly with questions or concerns.  It's also helpful to implement a customer friendly policies around returns, communicating the status of orders and setting expectations with buyers.  Often it's best to implement these strategies in a redundant fashion so the information is communicated to the buyer in multiple locations.

Another thing that you may be interested in implementing is the Customer Service message setting in your PayPal account.  This allows you to set a message that your customers will see when they click on the option to message you on the PayPal transaction.  That way if you prefer that they contact you directly you can provide alternate contact methods.  I'm assuming you don't already have this implemented but wanted to mention it just in case.  We have more information about this setting here:

Customer Service Message

In the new PayPal design for business accounts, this setting can be found by clicking the profile option in the upper right corner of the page.  Then click "Profile and settings".  It will then be under the "My Selling Tools" section.  Alternatively, here is the direct link to the setting:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=%5fprofile%2dseller%2dmessage

I hope this helps! 🙂

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

bellamh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Frank,

I appreciate the reply, but I am not sure if you are understand the thought process from the customers' perspective.  This is what is going on:

Customers who use PayPal often order many things online.  They use their transaction history as a log of their purchases.  It is the contact form of least resistance that they use when they want to get in touch with a seller.  When a button comes up that says "Contact Seller", they follow the instructions to do so.  I have literal screenshots of customers who have replied to me, after I emailed them, to say that they absolutely did not mean to file a dispute - they are just following the directions they are told to send a message.

For the record, I have had a customer service message implemented for more than a month now.  My email signature has multiple ways to contact me.  My website has a messaging function built in to customer accounts.  I allow private messages to be sent to me via my Facebook page.  Customers can reply to any email they have received from my site and it'll come to me.  There is a contact form customers can fill out from my site.  My site policies page has a "ways to contact us" section.  It is not for lack of ways that customers have to contact me - it is specifically due to having a button that says "Contact Seller" available in their PayPal account.  Indeed, disputes I received prior to this change in disputes were actual disgruntled customers; after this change, I just get people who ask innocent questions.  

I am sure you can see my dilemma here.  I'm happy to privately continue this conversation with the additional screenshots.

Login to Me Too

bellamh
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to post this screenshot of *exactly* what I'm referring to

https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-v3ubrp3d/product_images/uploaded_images/grohnke.jpg?t=1446753552

Please realize that many customers who use PayPal are not pro internet users. They are just people who want to pay for something.  If you give them an option that says Contact Seller, they are going to do that and assume they are just contacting someone in good faith, and not opening a dispute.

Login to Me Too

macsac1
Contributor
Contributor

Opened a dispute by clicking contact seller. Seller resolved the issue but there is no option for me to close the dispute so the seller can get his money. All I wanted to do was ask the seller a question. Now I can't respond to the dispute or close it. I contacted PayPal but so far they are ignoring me. How can I switch pack to the classic PayPal and get rid of this crap beta version? 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@macsac1

It's quite fortunate that you don't have an option to close the dispute; closing the dispute would only mean that your would not get your refund.

You opened a dispute to get your money back.  The dispute will close automatically when you do get your money back.

Just let the dispute process to the work.

Login to Me Too

macsac1
Contributor
Contributor

I don't want a refund! All I wanted to do is contact the seller. The seller resolved the problem quickly but I can't close the case so he can get his money. There is a serious problem with PayPal beta and no one will fix it. EPIC FAIL!

Login to Me Too

Timphan
New Community Member

Hi Frank,

I'm a buyer. I opened a case to return a $1218 knock off YSl bag sold by a dishonest seller. this Beta version drives me crazy, the seller received the bag today but has not issed the refund, usually with the old version I could escalate the case with Paypal. Now the new version, I cannot even add more message or escalate the case, i dont see any button to close case/ resolve problem or escalate case. Please help me, all I want is to get the refund! thank you

Login to Me Too

jwbnf
New Community Member

Yeah, it's pretty insane. I never get disputes or chargebacks. Customers always contact me through my website if something needs taken care of.

And now, out of nowhere, PayPal is telling MY CUSTOMERS to contact me through this system for any little question they may have.

And the money is placed on hold until the "issue" is resolved, which may not happen for weeks because they apparently don't remind the buyer to close out the claim with the same fervor they applied in getting them to use the system to open the claim in the first place.

I'm pretty sure they don't even inform the buyers that they're opening a claim. I'm getting very basic questions from customers who aren't replying to my answers, and so the claim stays open. And all of that money is on hold and there's nothing I can do about it.

I've been giving my customers the choice between Stripe and PayPal at checkout for years. Most choose Stripe anyway, so I guess it'll be fine to just drop the PayPal option.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

This is what Ebay does now,if a buyer (a real buyer who has paid for the item) asked you a question thru ebay messaging,Ebay will automatically locked up the payment,it could be just a plain thank you or hello or complaint or return,makes no difference ,the money is locked up.

So I am not surprised Paypal is doing it as well,there are just too many sellers and not all are honest,with Ebay money back guarantee and Paypal buyer protection and that mighty chargeback with credit card issuer,every seller is a suspect.

If you are doing a robust business on your website and can afford it,get a merchant account to accept credit card,most folks have credit cards,so why use it thru Paypal.

You sell custom made goods,credit card users are less trigger happy to file chargeback,while with Paypal and Ebay,it is too easy to do so.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.