A Fair Solution To The 21 Day Hold

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, let's face it, no matter how much we complain, PayPal is not going to stop their 21 day hold policy.  The complaining has gone on for more than a year from what I have read.   Many may not agree, but PayPal has a right to institute policy they believe will protect or enrich the business.  My problem is that they do not offer a simple means for sellers to have the 21 day hold lifted when waranted.   Right now, PayPal's answer to the many compalints is basically - if you don't like it, don't use PayPal - and although their are other money transmitters, PayPal is the most popular and directly associated with eBay.  It does not seem to be beneficial for any of us to just stop using PayPal.   However, it would seem to be very beneficial to stop selling on eBay until PayPal makes it easier to for us to have money released prior to the 21 day hold when warranted.   By joining together and not selling on ebay, we can hit both ebay and PayPal in the pockets.  eBay and PayPal need sellers just as much as they need buyers, there are other popular sites to sell on and alternatives to Paypal if need be.    Of course, for this to work, we need numbers and some of the big sellers to be effective.   Let's start with those being effected now.  If all you are going to do is complain, then don't expect relief, they have a business to run and believe their policy is vital to their properity regardless of how it effects you.  So, if you want to stop crying and start doing something about this issue, speak up and let it be known how many are on board?   A simle "yes" in response to this idea will be sufficient.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Glad to hear from you.  We are having a little success and hopefully this issue can be fully resolved.  In the mean time, if you follow these instruction, you will receive your funds within 48 hrs:

Follow these steps to remove "payment holds" from your account (please note if your item has not been delivered these steps will not work).

1) Log-in to paypal and click ‘help’ (located at the top right corner of the site)

2) Then click on ‘Contact Us’ (located at the bottom right corner of the site)

3) Directly under the title ‘Email Us’ is a link labeled ‘Send us’, click this link.

4) Fill this in with the appropriate info (don’t go into detail on your issue at this time, just vaguely create a sentence that sums up your problem)

5) Afterwards you will receive an email that’s labeled something like this ‘Auto-Response Payment Status (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) ppk1’ from the a specific email address (i'm not allowed to post the exact address on these forums for some reason) .

6) Reply to this address and give this information:

a) Paypal transaction ID #

b) Shipping provider (UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc.)

c) Tracking # for the item

d) And then describe in full detail the situation of your transaction.

7) If you’ve met Paypal’s requirements for hold release, then they will lift the payment holds.

You may have to do this per transaction.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
96 REPLIES 96

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The funds are usually released within 72 hrs when the D/C shows delivery OR the buyer leaves feedback

Login to Me Too

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

@profdata wrote:

The funds are usually released within 72 hrs when the D/C shows delivery OR the buyer leaves feedback

No disrespect, but the operative word is "usually", a very safe word with respect to action.   I have contacted PayPal, gave them the tracking number from which they can not only observe that the package was delivered, but that it was signed for and by whom.   I explained that the buyer has failed to leave feedback and that the buyer has listed the items on eBay that I sold and shipped.  What more do I need to do?   Like I stated in my originally post, I have no problem with PayPal's 21 day hold, what I have a problem with is the lack of a simple means to have the money released prior to the 21 days when warranted.   

Login to Me Too

mspa481
New Community Member

Do they at least release it automatically after 21 days? Or do you have to email or call them on day 22 or day 23 yourself so they do it? While I don't agree with the policy especially for sellers on ebay that have perfect feedback and never had a claim against them as I do, at the very least they can release the money early when they say they usually do. I have had positive feedback left for me on a transaction and am still waiting for them to release the money.  I'm not sure what else they need as proof of a successful transaction. I happen to sell sports jerseys and I'm waiting for the day that I get positive feedback left for me by someone on Ebay, but then the person washes it wrong or spills something on the jersey and a week later files a claim on paypal to get their money back and low and behold because they have been holding my money for 10 days after the guy left positive feedback, the guy will get a refund on the jersey that he ruined himself.

Login to Me Too
Solved

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Glad to hear from you.  We are having a little success and hopefully this issue can be fully resolved.  In the mean time, if you follow these instruction, you will receive your funds within 48 hrs:

Follow these steps to remove "payment holds" from your account (please note if your item has not been delivered these steps will not work).

1) Log-in to paypal and click ‘help’ (located at the top right corner of the site)

2) Then click on ‘Contact Us’ (located at the bottom right corner of the site)

3) Directly under the title ‘Email Us’ is a link labeled ‘Send us’, click this link.

4) Fill this in with the appropriate info (don’t go into detail on your issue at this time, just vaguely create a sentence that sums up your problem)

5) Afterwards you will receive an email that’s labeled something like this ‘Auto-Response Payment Status (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) ppk1’ from the a specific email address (i'm not allowed to post the exact address on these forums for some reason) .

6) Reply to this address and give this information:

a) Paypal transaction ID #

b) Shipping provider (UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc.)

c) Tracking # for the item

d) And then describe in full detail the situation of your transaction.

7) If you’ve met Paypal’s requirements for hold release, then they will lift the payment holds.

You may have to do this per transaction.

Login to Me Too

lourash70
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to do this - delivery happened on the 12th, positive feedback was left immediately.  But my payment doesn't show until the end of the month.  How can I email them to have it released?

Login to Me Too

Maximal
A friend of mine who works for PayPal told me the soul purpose of the 21 day hold isn't to help the seller or buyer. If PayPal holds 2 million payments for 21 days, assuming each payment held was worth $10.00. That's $20,000,000 growing interests for 21 to 35 days. That's why PayPal's attitude is so capitalistic. The point is to keep making money regarding what happens. Kind of like Don King's attitude. It's brilliant if you think about it. I would not be chocked to find out that a mobster was behind the whole idea of PayPal.
Login to Me Too

terese2
Contributor
Contributor

Great post, SirTinLee.  I totally agree!  We can only hope to get the attention of Ebay and PAypal by hitting them in their greedy pockets!

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@terese2 wrote:

Great post, SirTinLee.  I totally agree!  We can only hope to get the attention of Ebay and PAypal by hitting them in their greedy pockets!

If you didn't notice, that was a way to have funds released that SirTinLee or t posted not asking people to leave. You need to look at the dates and note what was posted afterwards.

Login to Me Too

boricvamorena13
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you. That lack of a simple solution is very unfair.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.