A Fair Solution To The 21 Day Hold

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, let's face it, no matter how much we complain, PayPal is not going to stop their 21 day hold policy.  The complaining has gone on for more than a year from what I have read.   Many may not agree, but PayPal has a right to institute policy they believe will protect or enrich the business.  My problem is that they do not offer a simple means for sellers to have the 21 day hold lifted when waranted.   Right now, PayPal's answer to the many compalints is basically - if you don't like it, don't use PayPal - and although their are other money transmitters, PayPal is the most popular and directly associated with eBay.  It does not seem to be beneficial for any of us to just stop using PayPal.   However, it would seem to be very beneficial to stop selling on eBay until PayPal makes it easier to for us to have money released prior to the 21 day hold when warranted.   By joining together and not selling on ebay, we can hit both ebay and PayPal in the pockets.  eBay and PayPal need sellers just as much as they need buyers, there are other popular sites to sell on and alternatives to Paypal if need be.    Of course, for this to work, we need numbers and some of the big sellers to be effective.   Let's start with those being effected now.  If all you are going to do is complain, then don't expect relief, they have a business to run and believe their policy is vital to their properity regardless of how it effects you.  So, if you want to stop crying and start doing something about this issue, speak up and let it be known how many are on board?   A simle "yes" in response to this idea will be sufficient.

Login to Me Too
96 REPLIES 96

tim4446
New Community Member

eedback no longer affects the relase of funds and waiting three days after shipment is confirmed does not either....there are those of us who rely on the money from the sale to use as postage. Many of us are left with no means of shipping the orders we have to fill. PayPals answer...deposit money into your account to cover the shipping fees. If I had money in another account I would not be selling on E Bay...I am trying to feed and house my family. It's my money, they have thier fees, there is no reson to hold it. I have never lost a package or renegged on a requested refund (they have all been to people who refused to pay insurance). Why am I being chastised and someone else using the money I worked hard to make.

Login to Me Too

jen76az
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree! I am a single mother who sells items on eBay to make extra money to provide for my family. I cannot believe that they won't even release the money that they buyer sends for shipping. They withdrew all the shipping charges from the labels I created through their website (in which I am sure they get a kick-back from USPS) from my personal bank account!!! I had a couple international shipments and the totals were over $100! I cannot afford that! I think that this may potentially be illegal. They are supposed to be a service to allow you to collect money of which they collect fees on. How can they keep our money from us??? It's OUR money from sales WE made from customers who bought something from US not THEM!!! Banks can't "hold" money deposited into your account for 21 days...how on earth are they allowed to???

Login to Me Too

HLCFA
Contributor
Contributor

I have wanted over two weeks for funds to be released for an item that had tracking, tracking was loaded on ebay/paypal and item has been delivered and still says funds will not be released till next week - the 72 hours wait after delivery confirmation still does not work.

Login to Me Too

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

It is a shame that PayPal and eBay continue to impose policies that hurt the very type of people that made them the giants that they are today. If you would like an alternative to eBay, check out webstore.com. Sure, it may not have the traffic that eBay enjoys today, but eBay didn't have the traffic it enjoys today either - at one point in time.

Login to Me Too

ruthruss
Contributor
Contributor

A lot of buyers do not leave feedback. I have been selling on e-bay since Oct., 2004. I have sold over 1,000 items as well as buying at least 500. That means I should have around a 1,500 score. Well, I only have 575, however it is 100% and I'm very proud of that. When paypal put a hold policy on my account I was blown away (Oh yeh, they took there fees out immediately).

I am in the process of looking for a new outlet for my used antique car parts. When I find one you can bet e-bay and paypal will be past history. That is what my solution is to this problem.

I believe they only want power sellers on e-bay and you can believe when I go elsewhere, my buying will also go elsewhere.

Sincerly, ruthruss         

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@SirTinLee wrote:

Ok, let's face it, no matter how much we complain, PayPal is not going to stop their 21 day hold policy.  The complaining has gone on for more than a year from what I have read.   Many may not agree, but PayPal has a right to institute policy they believe will protect or enrich the business.  My problem is that they do not offer a simple means for sellers to have the 21 day hold lifted when waranted.   Right now, PayPal's answer to the many compalints is basically - if you don't like it, don't use PayPal - and although their are other money transmitters, PayPal is the most popular and directly associated with eBay.  It does not seem to be beneficial for any of us to just stop using PayPal.   However, it would seem to be very beneficial to stop selling on eBay until PayPal makes it easier to for us to have money released prior to the 21 day hold when warranted.   By joining together and not selling on ebay, we can hit both ebay and PayPal in the pockets.  eBay and PayPal need sellers just as much as they need buyers, there are other popular sites to sell on and alternatives to Paypal if need be.    Of course, for this to work, we need numbers and some of the big sellers to be effective.   Let's start with those being effected now.  If all you are going to do is complain, then don't expect relief, they have a business to run and believe their policy is vital to their properity regardless of how it effects you.  So, if you want to stop crying and start doing something about this issue, speak up and let it be known how many are on board?   A simle "yes" in response to this idea will be sufficient.

You are going to lose more money by not selling on eBay than if you just accept the hold and continue selling. I know from experience, things just hang around on other sales sites for months, so if you can afford that, then why can't you wait for your funds? It isn't a lifetime, and if it truly is 21 days like I keep seeing (when this is the maximum time, not written in stone as the hold time) then in 22 days, does it not stand to reason, your monies will have come full circle and you will begin seeing monies released daily? So you have a bit of money invested, it is nowhere near what you would have invested in a brick and mortar store if eBay had not come along and made such a presence, if we did not have the resources of a site like this. EBay is the first selling site that comes to peoples minds when they think of buying on the Internet on a site like this. There are not enough sellers who are on here complaining about funds held that if they did stop selling it would ever make a dent in eBay.

Why can't people just look at the economy, the situation our government is in and understand that all businesses are being affected by this slow economy and thus come out of the woodwork the sellers who never intend to ship who leav Paypal left to pay the buyer and know that is why they have to confirm the item was shipped and that it was the item actually ordered? No one wants to wait, but better to wait than not to have eBay or Paypal at all.

Login to Me Too

SirTinLee
Contributor
Contributor

@7yearseller wrote:

@SirTinLee wrote:

You are going to lose more money by not selling on eBay than if you just accept the hold and continue selling. I know from experience, things just hang around on other sales sites for months, so if you can afford that, then why can't you wait for your funds? It isn't a lifetime, and if it truly is 21 days like I keep seeing (when this is the maximum time, not written in stone as the hold time) then in 22 days, does it not stand to reason, your monies will have come full circle and you will begin seeing monies released daily? So you have a bit of money invested, it is nowhere near what you would have invested in a brick and mortar store if eBay had not come along and made such a presence, if we did not have the resources of a site like this. EBay is the first selling site that comes to peoples minds when they think of buying on the Internet on a site like this. There are not enough sellers who are on here complaining about funds held that if they did stop selling it would ever make a dent in eBay.

Why can't people just look at the economy, the situation our government is in and understand that all businesses are being affected by this slow economy and thus come out of the woodwork the sellers who never intend to ship who leav Paypal left to pay the buyer and know that is why they have to confirm the item was shipped and that it was the item actually ordered? No one wants to wait, but better to wait than not to have eBay or Paypal at all.

Very nicely said, sevenyearseller, PayPal should make you one of their spokesmen. You have definitely raised some good points; however, waiting 21 days or whatever for payment, places a hardship on smaller sellers that are thrilled to be able to sell one item a month. You must be one of the larger sellers who, once the release time sets in, will receive continuous payments. Another important factor you seem to overlook is PayPal's selective enforcement of this 21 day hold policy. It was placed on me because I listed seven low cost items within a two day time period. Now you mention sellers that never intend to ship and leave PayPal to pay the buyer. That sounds good, but how often do you hear about something like that? And if that's the reasoon PayPal is enforcing this policy, that seems kind of slanderous because there is no reason to believe that I or anyone else is a theif. You also missed my most important statement; "

My problem is that they do not offer a simple means for sellers to have the 21 day hold lifted when waranted."

Like you, PayPal overlooks the real issue presented to them, and then buyers and sellers come to places like these forums to seek redress from what they believe to be unfair or to vent their dissatisfaction. I believe this issue should be taken a step further because the manner in which PayPal is acting towards sellers is unconscionable. Maybe when it happens to you, you will feel differently. As for there not being enough complaining sellers to make an impact, I have commitments from 4 larger sellers of over 45,000 sales each that are willing to help the greater cause. No one intends to leave eBay, none of us are ignorant and as far as loosing money, that, like you said, is temporary and on an indiviual basis, it is nothing compared to what eBay and PayPal will lose.

Login to Me Too

READTHETOS
Contributor
Contributor

Go to Costco and get a merchant account. Your life will be much easier dealing with a regulated payment processor that is subject to banking guidelines.

Login to Me Too

I3ongwat3r
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If every person who ever complained to Payapl in regards to the 21 day holds stop selling and attempted to close their accounts, paypal would still not care and their business would still  continue to prosper.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

@I3ongwat3r wrote:

If every person who ever complained to Payapl in regards to the 21 day holds stop selling and attempted to close their accounts, paypal would still not care and their business would still  continue to prosper.

The bottom line and right to the point. Well said.

None of anything said here is going to change anything.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.