Ukrainian bank (usd) to Canada bank (cad) for two Ukrainians

OlenaChystova
Contributor
Contributor

I want to send money to my son. I am Ukrainian, and I am physically in Ukraine. To send money abroad I can use only my USD or EUR account (because of war we have some restriction rules here in Ukraine). My son is Ukrainian too, but physically he is in Canada now. He has his own account in Canadian bank (cad).

I have no experience in using PayPal.

Explain me, please, how can I send him money via PayPal - can I add his Canadian card to my PayPal account? Or we have to use another way? What fees for this operation do we have? And are there any benefits for Ukrainians for today in this case (ukrainian bank usd - Canada bank cad for two Ukrainians)

Thank you in advance for detailed answer 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@OlenaChystova 

You can send/receive friends/family payments in the Ukraine but that sounds fine because that is what you want to use it for.

So as long as your son has a Canadian paypal account you should be able to send an f/f payment to him.

Just click on send and then input his paypal email address > select the friends/family option > select which currency you want to send and the amount. Double check everything and before you click to pay it will tell you how much will be debited from the linked card on your paypal account in your currency. You should be able to send in CAD but check if it comes up on the list of currencies for you to select before sending.

HOWEVER if your son is using a Ukrainian paypal account in Canada then post back for more advice. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

OlenaChystova
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Can I ask you for some more help please

The questions arise because I don't understand how exactly PayPal works and I can't find an experienced consultant here in Ukraine. So I really appreciate your help.

So: my husband and I have to transfer 8000 USD to our son from Ukraine to his Canadian bank card. We each have 4000 USD in our separate accounts.

In Ukraine, because of the war, there are restrictions - about 790 USD per one transaction. That means we have to make about 10 transactions together. The Ukrainian bank takes 2% of the amount. Then we try to reduce additional fees.

Questions:

1. I have a Ukrainian PayPal account. Can I first "accumulate" a certain amount of money there by making several transactions, and then transfer it to my son in one lump sum? Because his bank charges 17 USD for each incoming transfer.

2. Can my husband and I BOTH accumulate all the funds on one joint PayPal account and then transfer them to our son in one transfer? If so, how could we do it?

3. Do you know what fee PayPal charges in this case, or where exactly can I see this information at the time of the transfer, even BEFORE it is made? As far as I know, there is currently a grace period for Ukrainians - but I would like to be sure and calculate the costs in advance.

My son does not have any PayPal account yet and can create any one - Canadian or Ukrainian, the ultimate goal is to receive funds to his Canadian bank card.

In this part, please explain how exactly this can happen:

4. Can I transfer funds from my PayPal account to his card DIRECTLY (maybe I can link his card to my PayPal account as a family member?)

Or do I have to transfer funds from my PayPal account to his PayPal account, and then he will receive funds on his card?

What should I do in this case to avoid additional fees?

5. I would also like to ask if it is possible to transfer funds from a Ukrainian PayPal account to a Canadian WISE account (e-wallet)? If so, how could I do it (transfer funds from my PayPal account to iban/wire transfer or just directly to the card number of a Canadian bank? Because with WISE we save on crediting funds to a Canadian bank

Thanks a lot  in advance for your help

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello everyone! Thanks for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear there's been some confusion when sending funds from Ukraine to Canada. Thank you @kernowlass for your help and guidance so far. We appreciate your time!

@OlenaChystova, welcome! I'll do my best to answer your questions in the order you've asked them. First however, PayPal does not have a specific limit per transaction on how much you can send. If there is a per transaction limit, that would most likely be on the bank's end, not PayPal's. With that in mind, each transaction would be reviewed individually for it's security and assessment of risk. It's best to only send it in all in one transaction, not in multiple smaller transactions. 

1. Adding money to your PayPal account is a country-specific feature. At this time, PayPal does not offer the option to add money to your account from your bank in Ukraine.

2. You cannot have a joint PayPal account. It would be best for you both to have your own individual PayPal accounts if you both have your own individual bank accounts. You should not add someone else's bank or card to your PayPal account. 

3. All fees can be found here: PayPal Fees . In this case, you would most likely be charged a cross-border fee and potentially a currency conversion fee if it were to occur. 

4. You cannot transfer funds from your PayPal account to his card directly. You would send money as a Friends and Family transaction to your son's PayPal account, and then he would transfer it to his bank or eligible card. 

5. You cannot transfer funds from your PayPal account to his Canadian WISE account. On a related note, PayPal does not normally accept online or prepaid banks as a valid bank such as WISE or Payoneer. 

Here are a few resources specific to Canada your son may find useful: 

How do I sign up for a PayPal account?
How do I verify my PayPal account?
How do I link a bank account to my PayPal account?

How do I get money out of my PayPal account?

I hope that clears things up. Best wishes!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

OlenaChystova
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

please read my second post above  ))

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.