new fees to payments

justdanghappy
Contributor
Contributor

for some reason I am being charged a fee when people send me money. Ive been using paypal for 20 years and this just started happening..

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@justdanghappy 

Sellers pay fees and always have done since paypal started.

The only time you don't pay a fee is if you are receiving friends/family payments BUT its against paypal rules to use that for selling goods or services as it negates your buyers paypal protection and evades paying paypal their fee for processing your payments.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

justdanghappy
Contributor
Contributor

yep understood... I dont know what I did to change the way a couple of my friends are paying me that generates a fee. I will have them delete me then I will request money and see if that works. Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@justdanghappy 

Nooo don't use the request money, firstly if you refund you won't get the fee back again as paypal do not return the fee as part of any refund issued.

Secondly a money request will also incur a fee.

If its a friend then they may have been using the wrong option and sent it using goods/services instead of friends/family.

Heres the differences...............

Goods/Services Payments.

1. Invoice or Money Request.
2. Send money > Goods/Services.
3. Paypal.me link (if its a personal account then there should be the option to tick a box to make it a goods/services payment before you submit payment).

Friends/Family Payments.

1. Send money > friends / family (or trusted person).
2. Paypal.me link from a personal account where you don't select the option to make it a goods/services payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

emerjensea
Contributor
Contributor
I am having same problem. I am not selling goods or services. So how do you get paypal to correct a transaction for which i (recipient) was incorrectly assessed a fee? The friend (payer) never uses paypal and selected the wrong type of payment somehow i guess. The transaction details don’t let you know what fee is for - another unethical policy. I cant refund if paypal keeps fee anyway. I cant open a dispute as recipient. What recourse do i have? Paypal has essentially stolen money from me / my friend.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_DerrickD

Hi @emerjensea,

Thanks for taking the time to post your concern here in our community. First, I must point that PayPal cannot go back and change the payment type retroactively. Meaning any fees you've incurred with your payment will not be canceled or refunded. We can only recommend that you communicate with your sender beforehand to confirm how the payment should be sent. As long as the payment is sent using the Friends & Family option, you will not be charged a fee. Any payments that are not sent as Friends & Family will be subject to the PayPal Seller fee.

-Derrick

Login to Me Too

emerjensea
Contributor
Contributor
So basically, one human makes an error and paypal believes it is entitled to rip us off?! This just means I will stop using paypal. And so will my friends. I will move my paypal balance to bank acct and be done with this unethical company. It was handy, but not at this price! I will be sure to alert everyone why they should steer clear of paypal now. I guess the only users worth their time and decency are the sellers / merchants who pay fees. I hope everyone soon realises what a huge profit paypal already makes off the investment of everyone’s money held by paypal. They don’t really need to charge fees to make profit from this “service.”
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emerjensea 

So your friend makes a mistake and its Paypals fault?

Paypal is like a credit card or bank, once payment is made they can't change the payment type.

The only way is to refund and ask the person to pay again BUT you won't get the fee back that was charged as that is a fee for processing both the payment and the refund for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

emerjensea
Contributor
Contributor
Also: paypal CAN change payment type retroactively. They simply choose not to. And realise that the payment from my friend was to pay me back - money already spent. The erroneous fee means i was not paid back, but paypal was paid for nothing, and my friend has now spent the full sum intended for me. Why should i pay more for her error? Why should paypal not simply provide a refund of fees in this case? If i were selling something, i would be incurring other fees for other transactions bc other transactions would be for goods and services. This transaction stands out in my history bc it is the only one of its kind and obviously an error!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emerjensea 

They cannot change the payment type ONCE COMPLETED, same as if you pay via a debit card and wish it had been by bank transfer, equally your bank would be unable to change that payment method.

Just put it down to a learning curve and move on. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.