What about a class action law suit to force PP to close our accounts?

AWAKE-notWOKE
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to close my PP account for several days. I get msg that I can not close this account because I have a balance of $2.38 in my account! They instruct me to withdraw the money, but they want my bank account number or  credit card to "transfer" this measly amount of money to account. No thank you! PP WILL NOT be privy to anymore of my financial information. I DO NOT want this money. I didn't even know until 2 days ago that I had any money in account! I see many other people are having this same problem. Our accounts are being held hostage and even though I have deleted my credit card from profile...I know they still have that number in their system which makes me very uneasy. I am contacting my state AG to see what recourse I have. Perhaps we should all consider getting together and filing a class action lawsuit. Are there any attorneys i n the PP community that can share your thoughts on this? My account holds very little money, but others have a lot more, and most importantly, PP has our CC or banking information, and any company that threatens to take money from accounts of customers for posting "misinformation" is a scary company. I have lost all trust in PP and will NEVER use their services again. I would gladly donate this money to FLA hurricane fund if PP would do that and then relinquish their hold on me!

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

1rought
Contributor
Contributor

its a nightmare they make any excuse not to close your account

Login to Me Too

ap2022
Contributor
Contributor

I am also getting the run around on closing my account. I have no balance whatsoever, nor do i have any outstanding transactions that remain incomplete.  First the PayPal Assistant bot told me the account couldn't be closed due to a system update.  Then in the next message told me the closure was being prevented due to an issue with a shadow account.  Then I was transferred to another bot that told me there was no shadow account but never gave a reason why the account couldn't be closed.  I messaged AskPayPal on Twitter to see if someone could help, but the response I got was only an automated bot response about how to get help for transaction issues.  I'm three days into this with no end in sight.  The bot assured me that it was being taken care of but I have not seen any evidence to support that claim.

I have not been able to find any other method of contacting PayPal for assistance.  The only method of reaching them is through the bots.  I am beginning to think there aren't even any human employees at PayPal and it's all AI and bot driven now.  I'm stuck too.  If you are able to get a lawsuit going, that will be great.  I honestly don't know any other way to get their attention.

Login to Me Too

deletemyacctNOW
Contributor
Contributor

I will join this lawsuit, they are making EVERY EXCUSE not to close my account. Let me know when you want to start it up.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @AWAKE-notWOKE, @1rought, @ap2022, @deletemyacctNOW

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you're running into some road-blocks closing your account, but I'm even more sorry to hear your unhappy with PayPal to begin with. If our Customer Support has tried to address your concerns but still have not been able to come to a satisfactory solution, there may be a few steps to complete before you can close your account. You may want to double-check for any active billing agreements or subscriptions or any pending authorizations from recent transactions. If you're still unable to close your account, here's an article on How to reach our Customer Support. 

Best wishes to you all, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

ap2022
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_JonK 

I did those things and it still didn't work.  Thanks for the non-help, "Jon K"

Login to Me Too

ap2022
Contributor
Contributor

@AWAKE-notWOKE @deletemyacctNOW 
If you are still having trouble closing your account, I found a phone number you can call. [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]nbsp; They will likely ask you for a code, you can tell them you don't have one.  I spoke to a live person who told me there was a shadow account that was preventing closure of my paypal account.  Which is interesting because the bot on the Chat Assistant told me there was no shadow account.  But anyway, they set up a ticket for the account to be closed, which is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of.  I got a ticket number and he promised it would be about 4 to 10 business days before they could close my account.  Still, more ridiculousness.  It's not a perfect solution but it's better than going round and round with the Chat Assistant bot.  That thing has no purpose except to distract you and make you think you're actually doing something.  You're basically talking to a wall at this point.  

Incidentally, I received a message from AskPayPal on Twitter.  if you can believe that.  It suggested that I had some automatic payments on the account that needed to be closed.  Go to your wallet and it should be at the very bottom of that page, a link to "Automatic Payments".  When I checked there, I found four automatic payments that were listed.  They were currently being charged or used, but just sitting there.  They are deleted easily enough. You should be able to delete your account after that.  At least that's what the bot told me.  It didn't work for me probably since I've already started a ticket but who really knows?  I'm sure PayPal doesn't.  It might work for you though.  

I'm sorry, I don't have any other helpful information.  It's the best I can do under the circumstances.  PayPal is holding us hostage for sure.  
Interestingly enough, the customer service agent who called himself Dwayne (totally made up name, I'm sure), said that PayPal has merged with Xoom which is another digital payment service.  If you have done business with Xoom, Venmo or Honey, then that account could also be hindering the closure process.  At least, that's what he told me.  so far they haven't proven themselves to be very knowledgeable about anything, so your guess is as good as mine. 

i wish you luck on your account closure.  I hope you get a resolution soon.

Login to Me Too

KDT4
Contributor
Contributor

ask them to donate the remaining money. thats what i did and closed one of the 2 accounts that i had. im still not able to close the other one. they are claiming that there is something connected to it and i suspect that you are running into that as well.

Login to Me Too

ap2022
Contributor
Contributor

The bot moderating this thread just removed the PayPal phone number for customer service in my post because "phone numbers are not allowed" apparently not even customer service phone numbers.  

so try this, call [removed]

even the place intended for people to get help for paypal issues sucks. good grief

Login to Me Too

ilkwatches
Contributor
Contributor
Actually a class action lawsuit "was" filed against PayPal in 2019 over this very same issue. But the judge said PayPal had the "right" to impound your money for 180 days! PayPal's "phony" excuse was that they were simply protecting your account from various "claims!" But to this day that makes absolutely "no" sense to me! Banks simply return any money taken from you through fraud, or a mistake, and "then" do an investigation. At the conclusion they simply determine who was at fault. Again, there's absolutely "no" reason for PayPal to seize your money for 180 days!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.