Paypal censoring conservatives? Free Speech Union?

jaamiller
Contributor
Contributor

In recent weeks PayPal has seemingly taken a decision to close the accounts of people and organisations that hold conservative and classical liberal views.

To my knowledge PayPal has given no reason as to why it has taken this action. PayPal claim, without providing any evidence of specific activity, that these groups have violated PayPal's terms of service.

Has anyone else noticed that the following have been removed?

The Free Speech Union (UK)
The Daily Sceptic 
Toby [Removed]
Tim [Removed]

please list any other such groups that you have seen PayPal act against.

I have been with PayPal since it started nearly 20 years ago.
Now I am looking to dissociate myself from PayPal as a result of its actions. 

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

Stephenh1
New Community Member

Agreed, why would Paypal block these accounts unless it is anti free speech ? 

Login to Me Too

William254254
New Community Member

Agreed. The Free Speech Union supports writers, teachers and thousands of others and have been shut down with no reason as to how they supposedly breached community guidelines so it seems Paypal is shutting views it does not agree with which seems strange for an organisation to do as it will alienate many customers who do not hold woke views ( which I suspect is the large majority of the UK population as continuing polls show). A vocal monority should not get their way just because they shout the largest. Paypal should be wary of the silent majority in most countries. 

Login to Me Too

Jdouch
New Community Member

I will also be keeping my use of PayPal to the absolute minimum. The idea that a financial service organisation effectively decides who i can pay is unacceptable, particularly payment to an organisation that champions free speech.   

Login to Me Too

CitymanMichael
New Community Member

It is disgraceful that Paypal - a financial service - are censoring free speech.  I will be pulling away from Paypal if they don't reverse their decision.  I just wish there was a way for The Free Speech Union to sue Paypal for this totally unacceptable block.

Login to Me Too

JeffQ1
New Community Member

Paypal should make an immediate statement as to why they have felt it necessary to close these accounts.

I have used the service for many years but will have no hesitation in taking my transaction business to a company that doesn't discriminate against people with views that differ from their own

Login to Me Too

JaneDoe57
New Community Member

I am cancelling my account as soon as I can work out how to do so (not obvious). Paypal have acted in an ethically dubious and cowardly fashion with regard to the Free Speech Union and associate organisations. They have also broken financial regulations in the UK. I trust that the FSU will take the matter to the UK Financial Ombudsman Service and also to the UK Financial Conduct Authority. Ironically the people they are ingratiating themselves with are largely Marxists and hate capitalist organisations. They are taking the side of people who long term want to abolish them as a financial institution. How incredibly stupid is that!

Login to Me Too

Alphaone
Contributor
Contributor

I now have no money in my account and will try not to use it again,

Login to Me Too

Camelotalot
Contributor
Contributor

Unless PayPal change this rather authoritarian decision of the type one normally expects from a totalitarian state I will be closing my account.  These large multinational companies acting in this sinister manner needs to be stopped or things will only get worse.   We all saw what happened in Canada and I believe much the same has happened or may happen in the Netherlands so I would encourage PayPal users to find other ways of transacting business unless PayPal changes it's rather stupid decision.

Login to Me Too

paulhudson
I don’t want to join in on this juvenile cancel culture, but it’s a little difficult to continue using a service that works against free expression of views. I find it astonishing I need to actually write those words. If it were left wing accounts being closed, I’d be as appalled. I can’t understand how any business could have become involved in this toxic silliness!? Where where the adults?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.