Scamming seller gave fake tracking number, Paypal denied my claims despite of the proofs

ljakievu
Contributor
Contributor

So last month, I purchased a camera lens on eBay using Paypal Credit. The seller gave me a tracking number so I thought everything was ok. 2 days later, I received an email from eBay stating that the seller's account has been authorized by a third party and had posted fake listings. They said if I have made any transaction with them, report them back through email immediately which I did. The seller's account has been banned and all the listings have been taken down after that. Of course, the package was never delivered to me. According to the tracking number, the package was received and signed by someone named Caroline. I was home that entire day, and there was no one in my household with that name. Even the package's shipping location is not the same as the one stated in the listing. I immediately reported to Paypal and included all the proofs such as the email from eBay, the receiver's name, thinking that it would be an easy process to get my money back.

My first claim was denied 2 weeks after that with the reason that the seller has provided a tracking number, so I decided to call straight to Paypal Credit which is Synchrony Bank to appeal the dispute. I told the customer service everything and they helped to open a dispute again. 2 weeks later, I received a letter from Paypal Credit/Synchrony Bank stating that they are in favor of the seller because the seller has provided a tracking number, despite of all the proofs that I have presented. I called them again. This time I met this customer service who kept saying "I'm really sorry that happened to you" without giving me any further instruction of what to do. I was furious at this point, but I managed to called back and opened a dispute again, saying that I'll get proof from UPS.

I tried to contact UPS to get proof that the tracking number wasn't coming to my address but someone else, but they refused to even though I said I dont need to know the receiver's actual address, I just want proof that it didn't deliver to MY address. They still refuse and said to tell Paypal to call them and they would let them know which I called and told Paypal to contact UPS. It's still processing, though I still feel like they still gonna be in the favor of the seller/scammer again which I ran out of options of what to do next. I've tried to contact eBay, but they said because I've opened a dispute with Paypal, I have to wait until that resolved.

I have found so many similar topics about this scam on eBay and Paypal and can't believe that they still allow this kind of scam to be an issue without any help for the buyer. It's not even a small purchase, It's $2,400+ so I definitely not just gonna let it slide. I know that some people got it back by calling their credit card bank, but I used Paypal Credit which I thought that they would have similar policy as other credit card but they don't. I will never use it again, knowing that there's zero protection for buyer from scam like this.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate if you can help!

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 4.37.17 AM-2.png

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ljakievu 

If you hear back and they won’t overturn the ruling, file a complaint at bbb.org under PayPal San Jose, CA to reach out to PayPal executive escalations office. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ljakievu
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you! I’ll try that when my claim get denied again. Right now I’m trying to contact UPS, Paypal through Facebook/Twitter as I’ve heard it works for some people.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.