Poor investigation work and support of customers

madpc44
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly I have been caught by a hacker who managed to take over my machine and make a payment to a user /trader Katja [Removed]

whilst I was logged into Paypal on my computer I lost control and I'm now out of pocket to the tune of around £550 !

I immediately turned my machine off sadly too late to stop the transaction going through. notified paypal, my Bank and the UK fraud action crime unit (I have an incident number. 

but this still doesn't seem to be enough for them to recover my money. I'm going to contact Martin [Removed] the UK consumer program and see if the BBC will get involved unfortunately for Paypal I never give in and will go to court with them if necessary. 

Has any one else had issues with this trader 

It will help as the more who have the harder it is for Paypal trying to cover up their actions of actively supporting Criminals. 

--

PG

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@madpc44 

You are responsible for the security of any devices you use Paypal with ie phone or computer.

So if the fraud was committed due to your computer being hacked then you wouldn't be covered unfortunately.

PayPal is only able to approve an unauthorized dispute when it is clear someone else logged into your PayPal account. If someone accessed your device using a virus or malware, then the logins would look like you made them. If you can run a virus and malware scan, it would resecure your device. Afterward, please save a report of the scan and provide it to PayPal's Customer Support. They may be able to reopen your unauthorized dispute with that information. You can find the different options for contacting Customer Support here

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

TomLynn
Contributor
Contributor
I found the advice here reasonable.
Login to Me Too

madpc44
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate that I was hacked but I do expect Paypal to investigate the trader / person it was sent to. 

There seems to be a reluctance or I can't be bothered attitude to doing this. 

I have notified the UK police who are also investigating. I'm sure they would expect paypal to do its due diligence!

Login to Me Too

TomLynn
Contributor
Contributor
I have to agree, I find PayPal 's response to issues lackadaisical and lethargic. Sorry to see them going downhill. I don't know what they actually care about, but it's not small claims against unscrupulous vendors. It seems that they are waiting for the overall number of complaints against a single individual vendor to rise to some unknown level before they take an interest. This is a recipe for corporate failure.
Login to Me Too

madpc44
Contributor
Contributor

I have scanned with 2 different products Mailwarebytes (Paid for version)  & Spybot search and destroy both found and cleaned Trojans etc..  (I already had Spybot installed and the Microsoft anti virus installed. ) my machine was also patched up to date. I further found amended port forwarding entries in my router. This has been factory reset and passwords changed. (I contacted my ISP) regarding this. I will send the results to my Bank and Paypal. 

Login to Me Too

madpc44
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal have managed to contact the Trader who is now refunding me. I will confirm this has been completed once the funds are back on my card / account. (Seems I have lost £30 in the currency transaction I'm not sure If I can get this back) 

Login to Me Too

TomLynn
Contributor
Contributor
That sounds like good news. Evidently someone decided to lift a finger in your case. I haven't heard from anyone in several days. I guess they are hoping I will forget everything, and just disappear. These situations DO tend to sap one's energy.
Login to Me Too

madpc44
Contributor
Contributor

Well I now have the refund with the PayPal fee taken. 

Am a bit annoyed at this but at least I have the bulk of the money back

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.