Paypal Cases and scammers

darkmiss6
Contributor
Contributor

We have a shop located in Canada. We recently sold an item from our reputable well know website to a customer located in France. We noticed his email was a bit odd and he had made a few accounts with the same name but different emails on our website.
When you buy from us you get an invoice from the website as well as from PayPal. He did not pay for a tracked service to France, he picked the slowest and least expensive delivery. He waited 7 days then sent an email saying "what's up with my order? If you don't reply im opening a case with PayPal". We were away camping and had set notifications about this on social media and our Esty shop, but apparently he couldn't or didn't read these. Also, with the time difference France is something like 8+ hours ahead. It also generally takes us 10-12 days to make and ship orders, once we buy labels we send out the tracking or label as proof of us sending it via email from the website and mark the order completed so they can see this on the site.

So we got back from camping on the weekend, a Sunday, and it was a day after he had sent the email (8 days total after he placed the order), we replied right away explaining,showed the label as proof of purchase and asked him to please cancel the PayPal case as there was no need, we were sending the item as we always buy labels on Sunday and ship Tuesday (Monday was a holiday). He did not reply to us and did not cancel the case. We provided the proof of sending it with a picture of the label and the completed order from our site to PayPal as requested on the case/claim. PayPal ruled in favor of him, even with proof of sending the item (the label). He originally opened the case with the statement "item not received". Its pretty hard to receive something that hasn't even been shipped yet! You cant receive something in 7 days from Canada to France with the slowest delivery.. Small packet international surface can take up to 2 months. He ordered on the 19th,opened the case on the 26th,we emailed him and explained on the 27th, the label was bought the morning of the 27th. Please tell me how he can win a case for not getting an item, that hasn't even been mailed to him? Also confused about why we are expected to refund him when we are eligible for seller protection on the transaction?

It stated on the PayPal guidelines that sellers are protected if the transaction is eligible, there is a a green "eligible" beside the transaction, stating we are good for seller protection on this item. We provided PayPal with proof of shipment in 3 ways. Label, actual package with label on it, and Canada post receipt as well as proof of pickup and mailing from Canada post. We have the green "eligible" beside the transaction. 

"Our Seller Protection helps guard you from losing money to claims, chargebacks and reversals. You’re covered for the full purchase amount on all eligible transactions. If a transaction is eligible for Seller Protection, it will be marked as eligible or partially eligible on the Transaction Details page. If it’s marked as partially eligible, you’re only protected for items a buyer didn't receive."

For physical items:

• Ship the item to the address on the Transaction Details page.
  • Respond to our requests for documentation and other information within the required timeframe.
  • Provide us with valid proof of shipment or delivery."

As of right now they expect us to now pay case fees as well as refund the buyer. So please tell me how we are eligible for seller protection but we are still expected to pay for this? The buyer is getting a free item for no reason! It was sent and shipped as he requested and but we supposedly have protection on the item? Really seems like this buyer is trying to scam us for a free item and no doubt has done it to other people. He has multiple emails from different providers all with "2shop" in them, opened several accounts with our website, only paid for the cheapest non tracked shipping on an expensive item,didnt wait for us to respond to his email, and once sent proof of shipment he didn't cancel the case. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@darkmiss6 

In the event of an item not received dispute you would have seller protection as long as you shipped the item with tracking and tracking showed the item as delivered to the buyers paypal registered address.

You chose not to send with tracking and shipped it the cheapest way. Tracking is for your protection and not the buyers because they would win if you could not provide trackable proof of delivery, which you could not.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mandav33
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah. I’m sorry I don’t agree with PayPal’s rulings all the time, but this one was definitely on you. What do you mean how did he claim no item when it wasn’t shipped yet. The item quite literally wasn’t shipped….therefore he had no item. Not sure what part of that is confusing you? That’s literally what not receiving an item means. It doesn’t matter if you intended to ship soon, up until that point he did not have an actual item. Not defending the customer at all, but he pretty much told you he no longer wanted his item by opening the case and asking for his money back. I’m not sure why you still insisted on sending his item despite you knowing this information????? I would never send an item to someone who asked for a refund, or opened a case requesting a refund and also didn’t respond when you informed him you were shipping it that day and to close the case.. I mean he very explicitly showed that he was no longer interested in what you were selling. Take it as an expensive learning experience. You jumped the gun on sending it out and due to the vacation you unfortunately lost because you only showed a label, and not actual tracking with movement. The customer was way in the wrong for not reading your policies, but this could’ve been prevented if you just let the case play out. He’d just get refunded and you’d still have your item.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.