How do I receive money without paying a fee?

bethcramer

I am trying to send something to a friend, and she wants to use paypal to send me money to cover the cost of mailing it to her.  When I try to fill out the form for receiving money, it asks if the payment is for goods or services.  It's neither....I'm just receiving money from someone, not in business.  It won't let me get past that without selecting either option, then the next page says paypal will charge me a fee.  I saw somewhere on paypal's site that they don't charge a fee for a personal transfer.  So, how do I find where to fill out a form to receive money as a personal transfer?  Thanks.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

SteveHogan
Contributor
Contributor

Have your friend initiate the send money process and pick the personal option.  Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

liuchess
Contributor
Contributor

@SteveHogan wrote:

Have your friend initiate the send money process and pick the personal option.  Hope this helps.

That is correct. KUDOS FOR YOU! The funds you send must be from a bank account or PayPal funds in order to not have a fee. Or you can choose to pay the credit card fee so the receiver doesn't have to pay it.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

bethcramer - Welcome to the community!

SteveHogan and liuchess - Thank you both for providing great answers!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

SpeedRacer
New Community Member

How do I get my fees reversed if I sent an invoice already?   I had no idea that Paypal charged these kinds of fees for invoicing.   The transaction was supposed to be that the payer was giving me money back.

Login to Me Too

gartellhello
New Community Member

Well you will pay a fee but if I were you I would use Money Gram as it's the least expensive (Walmart) or Western Union (Drug stores , everywhere)  Paypal is owned by Ebay and they need to charge enough to make enough profits for the share holders of the common stock.

Login to Me Too

wpage
Contributor
Contributor

Use otherrs. Yes

Login to Me Too

wolfdaddy205
Contributor
Contributor

,,any others, YES  =/

I smell interest scam my pal

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.