Can Paypal REST API calls send IPN instead of Webhooks?

sevzas
Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking into integrating PayPal REST API to be used on a web site that sells subscriptions.  The tricky part is that my web site has an affiliate program which is tracked by a separate vendor's affiliate tracking system.  So when a payment is processed by PayPal, a notification of this event needs to be sent to the affiliate tracking system.  The affiliate vendor system can handle Paypal IPN (Instant Payment Notification) but I don't believe it can handle Paypal webhooks.  I want to write my code to use Paypal's REST API or hopefully a .Net SDK that wraps the REST API (if available).

From reading PayPal's documentation, I've gathered that PayPal supports two kinds of notifications: IPN and webhooks.  I've gathered that the following tools support only certain notification methods:

Paypal buttons. NVP API, SOAP API -> supports IPN

REST API -> supports webhooks

So my question is: can the REST API generate IPN or perhaps can I make the webhooks look like IPN so my affiliate tracking system sees the IPN messages that it recognizes?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sevzas
Contributor
Contributor

Unless this page: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api-basics/notifications/ is no longer correct or I'm reading things wrong, it appears that Webhooks are supported only if using the REST APIs.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.