PayPal Business Debit Card is removing backup bank account funding

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct location but we just received an email from PayPal informing us that starting September 12th the backup funding from our bank account to our PayPal Business Debit Card function is going to be removed from ALL PayPal accounts. I called and spoke with a wonderful customer service rep Lori who spoke with her supervisor (and they had to speak with their supervisor). Apparently no one had informed them of this major change in PayPal business account functions. 

We really rely on this benefit as we are fully self-employed with three businesses and live in a very rural area. The Debit Card backup funding gives us the peace of mind to know our accounts are running smoothly and we don't have to constantly check balances. Ours is a perishable product business and our sales are cyclical on a weekly basis, we don't have customers making purchases every day of the week.

Bottom line: booooooo to PayPal!! You just made our businesses HARDER to run on a day-to-day basis despite your claim in that very email stating your "ongoing focus on helping your business to thrive". I imagine there will be a lot of folks shopping around for other options since PayPal thinks it is fine to cut major functional benefits to their customers with no information or basis in doing so.

moorewmla_0-1692288129895.png

Login to Me Too
277 REPLIES 277

dawnzig
Contributor
Contributor
Every transaction of mine was declined today bc of this! Had I not seen your post I never would have known. Same, over 20 yr user, now deleting all. What possible value does PP have anymore?!
Login to Me Too

mighty_mac
New Community Member

Same, have been using PayPal for YEARS and this is how we find out. Bye Bye PayPal, you are literally useless

Login to Me Too

I didn't see an email about this and just had some business related payments declined. I'm absolutely furious and I'll be cancelling my account with PayPal. This was my primary backup for when business was a little tight and now it's useless as a service. They lost a customer today and I won't be back.
Login to Me Too

nettiemcc
Contributor
Contributor

I knew the 12th was the last day, but we have also had declined transactions today, so i guess it really ended yesterday.  Not impressed

Login to Me Too

meteordealer
Contributor
Contributor

I never received an email notification either. I found out about this change two days ago when i had 5 or 6 auto payments get declined, including one for my cellphone service, which ended up getting suspended by T-Mobile. So i had to spend 3 hours yesterday getting my phone service reinstated, as well as logging into every account and website that i use, and changing my payment method. Just about everything that i do is linked to my PayPal card. I immediately closed my PayPal debit card and told them to stick it.

They should no longer call it a debit card. It is now nothing more than a reloadable prepaid card, that takes nearly a week (5 days) to load.   

Login to Me Too

teamfairway

Yes! I did receive that email but apparently ignored it 😞 I thought it was a formality, as I have a linked business bank account and have used it with my PayPal account for years. Until today! My PayPal debit card was declined because I don't keep a balance in my PayPal account... why would I? They specifically state that they are "not a bank" and therefore all of my purchases are backed by my linked bank account. I only use the card to earn the points; which I can get elsewhere. Now I have to go and change all of my monthly auto-payments (I count about 14) and eliminate PayPal since this change was made. Ridiculous! I suspect this may have a big impact on PayPal; we'll see... I may have to also sell my PayPal stock!!!

Login to Me Too

Flonitab

Better sell that stock FAST!

Login to Me Too

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

I posted on their FaceBook page and they threatened to block me for repetitive content. Or at least their bot did! I guess they didn't want to hear my opinion. I just can't believe what a STUPID move they made with this one, a real steaming pile they laid. 

Login to Me Too

Tangorlz
New Community Member

This is the worst thing that Paypal has ever done to its customers and the businesses that use Paypal as a tool. This renders the Paypal Debit card 100% unless. I am certain that they want us to deposit a bunch on money into our accounts just to keep using the card. They will then gain interest on our money, while we are not gaining interest on our money. I know how much money businesses have to pay them every time we use our cards as a CC transaction, this will cease. They will lose millions. Someone will be fired over this decision. Meanwhile my cards will go unused until they expire. I have no use for them anymore.  Bye PP - you have found another way to anger your loyal customers.

Login to Me Too

BigAl624
Contributor
Contributor

So PayPal no longer allows the use of the debit card with automatic backup? well, then I have no use for the debit card at all. Was nice over the last 20 years using it getting a kickback. But all things come to an end. Turning the debit card into a pre-paid card is not user friendly. I have no need for a pre-paid card. So goodbye PayPal Debit card.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.