PayPal Business Debit Card is removing backup bank account funding

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct location but we just received an email from PayPal informing us that starting September 12th the backup funding from our bank account to our PayPal Business Debit Card function is going to be removed from ALL PayPal accounts. I called and spoke with a wonderful customer service rep Lori who spoke with her supervisor (and they had to speak with their supervisor). Apparently no one had informed them of this major change in PayPal business account functions. 

We really rely on this benefit as we are fully self-employed with three businesses and live in a very rural area. The Debit Card backup funding gives us the peace of mind to know our accounts are running smoothly and we don't have to constantly check balances. Ours is a perishable product business and our sales are cyclical on a weekly basis, we don't have customers making purchases every day of the week.

Bottom line: booooooo to PayPal!! You just made our businesses HARDER to run on a day-to-day basis despite your claim in that very email stating your "ongoing focus on helping your business to thrive". I imagine there will be a lot of folks shopping around for other options since PayPal thinks it is fine to cut major functional benefits to their customers with no information or basis in doing so.

moorewmla_0-1692288129895.png

Login to Me Too
277 REPLIES 277

JustMelMCK
Contributor
Contributor

I got that email too, as I'm sure we all did. Barely a month's notice no less. And so end my many years long relationship with PayPal. This makes my life just a little harder, but at least I was wise enough to have signed up with other payment options.

Login to Me Too

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

Would you share the other service you are using? I have Stripe with one of our businesses but haven't explored all of their options yet.

Login to Me Too

JustMelMCK
Contributor
Contributor

I use Stripe and I have the Wave app. I honestly do not know of others that offer the backup funding. Stripe might but I'm not sure.

Login to Me Too

ardrighart
Contributor
Contributor

Garbage!

I didn't get an email, unless it was one of the ones with the logo and nothing else.

Last week I was using it for my business expenses, then today I get declined and come here to find out why.

Guess I'll quit using it. The last several years I have had increasing issues using the card, all resulting from their clawing back every penny they could (which is understandable), often at my expense (which is not).

Guess I will move all my business transaction/accounting to their competitors. No more occasional NSF issues when they do weird accounting tricks like taking from my bank, but not replacing it when a return is made, or debiting from the wrong account when some change is made in their backup policies.

And I won't have to look forward to the "who got some cash back?" like I'm some kind of good dog emails anymore. Thanks, Paypal. Once upon a time I earned north of 6% when you were my money market. now I'll earn something by going elsewhere.

Login to Me Too

andls
Contributor
Contributor

I got the email too. No more using bank back up? So, if we have $50 in our paypal account and want to buy something that costs $60 we can't use our paypal debit card account??? OMG, are they kidding? That being the case, after decades of using paypal I will now immediately stop using it, dump it, and sign up for a debit card from a company that does offer/allow bank back up.

Login to Me Too

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

Please share if you find alternative resources, I am so ticked I am ready to close all three of my PayPal Business accounts.

Login to Me Too

LuDini
New Community Member
I have 3 accounts as well I’m closing them I guess
Login to Me Too

xwindowuser
Contributor
Contributor

You have 3 business accounts? can I get a 2nd one too? I need a 2nd one, how do I do that?

Login to Me Too

moorewmla
Contributor
Contributor

If you have more than one business you will have bank accounts for each, right? Same thing with PayPal, we have three businesses with three bank accounts, three websites, etc.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.