If I send money to someone using a credit card how do I avoid a cash advance?

dubd22
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal states the following:

Do I get charged a cash advance fee when I use my credit or debit card to make a payment?

No. When you use your credit or debit card, you will not be charged a cash advance fee for sending money for goods or services. Payments made as a gift or to friends and family are charged a fee that the sender can either pay themselves or opt to have the receiver pay.

For these types of transactions, PayPal charges your credit or debit card only for the transaction amount.

Note: If you make a cash advance purchase with a credit or debit card, the card issuer may charge a cash advance fee. PayPal has no control over third-party fees. To avoid incurring fees when making a cash advance purchase, you may want to use a different payment method, such as your bank account or an e-Check.

My question surrounds the "Note". I don't understand what it means by third party. I want to purchase an item from a person and pay with paypal using my credit card. Will this count as a cash advance. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

purchase is not a cash advance.

seller pays Paypal fee .

Login to Me Too

dubd22
Contributor
Contributor
Okay Seller said something about friends and family payment does that change anything.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.