Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

Wolfalar
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently going to my online/streaming accounts that I pay for using PayPal and cancelling the accounts. When they ask why I tell them that it is because of PayPal draconian policy of forcing users to buy and use a cell phone.  Their loss of income is the result of PayPal's policy and I will not be renewing my accounts with them as long as they us PayPal

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Was PayPal ever planning to notify those of us without mobile numbers that we would be locked out of our accounts?  I've received no email from PayPal on this topic, and none of the prompts asking for mobile numbers ever indicated that they would be required.

Is there any plan to remove the now non-functional "Call you with a code" option from the log in page?

Is there any plan to add this new requirement to the support FAQ?

Login to Me Too

RobertDean
Contributor
Contributor
Since I don’t have one I’m using a friend’s number. Can I change this later if I ever get one? It’s not useful for me to pay the expense right now since there is no mobile coverage within ten miles of here.
Login to Me Too

Terpe
Contributor
Contributor

I also do NOT have a mobile phone at all.  I can access this community board but cannot access my account at all.  Guess my 20+ years for using PayPal has come to an end, and just in time for me to have to figure out what I am going to do in regards to accepting payments with a small on line sales business I am just getting off the ground.....  I was planning on using PayPal but looks like that is no longer going to be an option.  As of a couple weeks ago all I was going to have to do is tack on a business side to the account. 

Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

@Terpee

Try Stripe they at least offer the the option to apply to have the SMS requirement removed from your login. As a bonus their rates are better.

Login to Me Too

AZ109
Contributor
Contributor

Before you try that, have a read of the latest update to the user agreement (effective end of April).

It's so vague as to be incomprehensible but I bet it'll be another attempt to twist everyone's arms until they buy a mobile to be able to use their account.

If it is I've already done first drafts asking for guidance from the UK HMRC and FCA. 

Login to Me Too

HelpMePleeeez
Contributor
Contributor
This is not acceptable. I have funds in my account that ARE MINE, and now I can't even contact customer service without giving a cell phone number??? Am I going to have to sue?
Login to Me Too

AZ109
Contributor
Contributor

No, it's not acceptable.  The FCA should revoke PP's licences if they can't provide a service to ALL consumers.

Login to Me Too

BYeaz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - FTC (USA) should do something about this. They have made PP change user agreement over phone issue in past - this is worse. I also wonder what will happen to my balance when I cancel. I will cancel when my last 2 transactions clear. Of course I will have to guess when that happens as I cannot monitor/check MY OWN ACCOUNT. I got someone on the phone today who said I should be seeing an option on that pesky "add a mobile" screen to be called on my home (landline) phone. It isn't there! How can they be so **bleep** up? I will be able to cancel via phone IF I can get through and IF that info from phone rep is correct - his imagined button was not. I tried the bit below with the privacy business - didn't work, screens seem to be different.

Login to Me Too

Temp20210430

And that's me done with paypal. You want to have my phone number so you can market to me, which is a little ironic, as you've now lost me as a customer for your core business. Somebody actually came up with this idea? And it was approved? Morons. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.