cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number changed - can't log in

Options
Koala4

Exactly my problem. I tried to log in right now and Paypal demanded I enter my mobile phone number. It has never asked for this before. I don't have a mobile and have no intention of getting one just for Paypal. I have email, a landline, a PC and if that's not enough for Paypal, then I will no longer be able to use their services. It's a lose-lose situation for both me and Paypal. But I'm not changing my mind. I neither want nor can afford a mobile phone. To say I'm furious would be an understatement.

Options
ojisan
Contributor

Not a solution, problem is not resolved. 

Having to spend at least $10 a month to have a minimum mobile service plan just to use PayPal, stupid.

I have a free text messaging service that can receive texts from any source and then when received sends notifications to my email.  This service is an IP phone service that I use for calling vendors/suppliers or possible spam numbers.  Never have to give up (by caller id) or provide my home phone this way.  PayPal does not allow this valid text phone to be entered as a phone number for there account.  Why?

I get login security codes from all my financial accounts either by email, land line phone or the free text service, PayPal is the only money transfer/financial service that uses a mobile phone ONLY.

A stupid and moronic process to resolve a security issue that does not exist.

Options
Boofunkin
Contributor

What a total pile of garbage. Another technically incompetent fascist company! The world does not need to be run by cell phones. And they are not secure! My cell phone number is none of your business. I am going to call and have my account deleted!!!!

Options
fegb
New Community Member

Dear PayPal/Rachel,  I hope that PayPal policy makers will reconsider this decision. I both send and receive $$ via PayPal but do not have a mobile/cell phone. This may change at some point but I do not intend to make that change just to continue transacting business through PayPal. If need be I will (and I believe many others will as well) simply stop using my PayPal account and find a different way to function. Please reconsider. 

Sincerely,

fegb

Options
anthonyaag
Contributor

Please advice PayPal executives that many people DO NOT HAVE MOBILE SERVICE at their home and thus are now prevented from using PayPal (8/2021). We have a mobile phone, but there is NO CELL PHONE SERVICE in the low hills just south of Hartford, CT. I can only initiate a code call back, then drive 5 miles into town and get service and find the code, and then drive back home to my desktop computer. I can't do this within the 10 minutes allotted.

PayPal needs to have a way to confirm identity over a LAND LINE, or by some other method.

I have also sent an email to the VP of Investor Relations to bring this issue to their attention!

Options
llizzie
Contributor

How does that work now that Britain has left the EU?  You cannot impose EU rules on Great Britain, because we are not member of the EU.  Do you get away with that for American and African users?

Also, what about the Disability Discrimination Act, the Human Rights Act?  The Disability Discrimination Act lists several types of disability, including my neurological disability which means I cannot use a mobile phone (I have problems changing the TV channel with 3 numbers) and states that we are entitled to the same access to goods and services as ordinary folk who are not disabled, even if that means companies and organisations have to go out of their way to make it happen.

How can I keep my independence and my Human Rights to goods and services if I cannot log into my pay pal account easily?

Options
llizzie
Contributor

Look up the Disability Discrimination Act and the Human Rights Act in British justice which gives disabled people the right to goods and services enjoyed by everyone, even if organisations have to go out of their way to ensure we get availability to goods and services.

Options
AZ109
Contributor

I use paypal on two e-commerce sites.  I'm not about to buy a mobile phone just for logging into paypal, especially as my bank can send verification codes via land-line or e-mail. 

If paypal intends to block access to my account at some point what does paypal intend to do with my account balance.  With no access to the site I won't be able to transfer the balance to my bank or close my account.

Options
jmilby
Contributor

Have you found a way to access your online account without a cell phone yet?  I have the same problem.

Options
Courteney
Contributor

This is ridiculous. Just about everyone in the world, Developed nations or not, Uses PayPal in some form or another for their business needs or to pass money to family or friends in need but not everyone has a phone, Let alone a mobile so this strikes me as highly unfair. There are more methods to have two or more step authentication besides being tethered to a device not everyone wants, Needs or has. For instance an app, An alternate email, Photo id on record etc.

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.