Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nikki145 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Sometimes changing the password a few times works as well.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky. (use the guest option if you can't log in).
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Marijkej
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and the app is not letting me in either without the 2 factor authentication...
On the phone they just bluntly shut the line and on facebook there's a robot saying @"I don't understand" 

I can't believe I can't reach them in any way! I can't email them or chat cause then I would have to be logged in...

Help!!!

Login to Me Too

Keithhpgsn1991
Contributor
Contributor

i'M HAVING THE SAME ISSUE - IT'S RIDICULOUS THAT THEY CANNOT BE CONTACTED !!

Login to Me Too

Nikki145
Contributor
Contributor

i finally was able to change my phone number through the app!

Login to Me Too

Keithhpgsn1991
Contributor
Contributor

how did you do it

Login to Me Too

Veterano
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot login to my account because Paypal needs to send me an authentification text, the phone number is incorrect but I cannot change it until I am logged in - Catch22

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Veterano 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal at the moment are...

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky. (use the guest option if you can't log in).
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ivaylo88
New Community Member
So did one of the proposed solutions help you
Login to Me Too

Mx8
New Community Member

i got the same proble, and nothing works...even for mail to send wants authentication but i dont have that number no more neither the phone

what can i do now?

Login to Me Too

London4
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they tick as solved when they tell you absolutely STU*PID advice, saying:  "...When you cannot log in into your account, you have to change the setting inside your account to get into your account..."

Why PayPal is making fun of their customers?!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.