Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

mnbkgg
Contributor
Contributor
Cannot access PayPal support because it needs you to be logged in! Like nobody at PayPal imagined anyone would change their number! I can't use PayPal to buy things cos they need to txt my old number! No advance warning of this lockout. PayPal must be losing loads to this mistake.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mnbkgg 

No warning? Its been on paypal accounts for weeks.

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal at the moment are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Help777
New Community Member

Has anybody found a solution to this problem? Paypal? anyone?

Login to Me Too

viljami
Contributor
Contributor

I hope this would do the trick.

Go your favorite site for donations etc. and make little donation with paypal. This way i can get access to my account settings. I use this site http://web.archive.org/

Login to Me Too

kaarlogc
Contributor
Contributor

@viljami 

your suggestion doesn't work. it still asks for mobile number.

seems like a site-wide issue that has affected multiple users. canned responses aren't really helpful unless you really mean to help others. it's frustrating. might as well not respond at all.

i'll just have to contact live support for this one tomorrow since it's still Sunday.

Login to Me Too

J4YD182

THIS WORKED FOR ME!!

Login to Me Too

LEYKN

but this is crazy, how easy that might be!

Login to Me Too

chengnwsh

Hi mate, 

Hope you had a great holiday. 

I had the exact issue and I figured out this loophole - it's probably a logistic or design default of Paypal. 

The solution: 

1.Log out of your account from your browser 

2.Go to log in page and type your email address of your Paypal account 
3.Click on 'having problem log-in' or 'can't log in' or whatever it is.

4.On this page, you have the option to receive a code via email; to receive a code via text message; or to verify your identity by confirming your linked bank card number. Choose to verify your identity by confirming your linked bank card number.

5.Type you card number and you'll probably be able to get into the dashboard page. 

6.Update mobile number and remove all expired phone number.

7.Voila

Hope this helps! 

Login to Me Too

mnbkgg
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed at last! I rang PayPal uk support on <removed> which is in Ireland. This is a feature intended to prevent fraud.

Login to Me Too

kaarlogc
Contributor
Contributor
Can you please elaborate what did you do while calling that number? Can we use that even if I'm a non-US or UK resident?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.