Paypal shipping address is incorrect, how do I change it?

TT4KC
Contributor
Contributor

Every single time I use PayPal to checkout (regardless of the site/merchant), my shipping address is incorrect.   All addresses on my account have been updated and my old address was removed - yet the old address pops up anyway as my default shipping address in PayPal checkout.  How do I fix this?  Or more to the point - how does PayPal fix this and when?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

pkkh
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @TT4KC 

Thank you for making a Post. 

I understand when you try to make a purchase, your old address is popping up and I know that can be frustrating. If you're unable to remove your old address from the account, contact PayPal support directly over the phone or message center and they should be able to remove it for you. Also, here's how to change your address on PayPal account. I hope this helps. 

Regards,

Punith  

Login to Me Too

williasplund

I've already done this multiple times. It STILL keeps showing up randomly for purchases. I moved 8 years ago. My CC should mark it as fraud. You clearly have the correct billing address, or it wouldn't clear. And your support is pathetic. I'm done working with any merchant using paypal.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Ayesha

Hello @williasplund,

Welcome to PayPal Community Forum and thank you for posting!

I completely understand, and I would be frustrated if I were in your shoes. I'm sorry that this was such an experience for you, but I hope that we're given the opportunity to make it better in the future.  As per the information that you have shared, the addresses you're referring to were likely added during checkout on a merchant's site. They get saved in the background of your account as gift/hidden addresses but do not show in your profile dashboard. However, show as options in checkouts on various merchants' sites. To have them removed, please contact Customer Service and let them know that you would like to remove some gift addresses. They will want to know the specific addresses to remove, so if you can make a note of the ones to be removed, that would be handy. 

Regards,
Ayesha

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

TT4KC
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  While what you state is true, it does not apply.  As I stated in my post, this issue occurs on every single transactionregardless of the merchant getting paid.  That makes PayPal the common denominator.  In order for your explanation to be the cause, all of the companies I do business with would have to make the exact same mistake, which is neither logical nor likely.  Plus, I already checked with each of these vendors before making my complaint to PayPal - they all have my current address and do not have any alternate addresses for me.  

To prove my point, I stopped using PayPal for these retail transactions and am now using another digital wallet and voilà - no address issues.  If the source of the problem is the companies I do business with - I should continue to have the same problem, regardless of what digital wallet I use.  But the only time it occurs is on PayPal. 

In fairness, I've had quite a bit of experience with PayPal and am very aware of changes made to your backend systems in 2015 that prevents customer service from seeing, let alone fixing situations like this one.  Your explanation is valid, but misdirected.  My guess is the "gift addresses" are on PayPal's server - you just cannot see them.   Which leads me to this question - how can I get customer service to view the "hidden" addresses on PayPal's server?  Every time I call about something, I'm told it is the merchant's fault, even when I can prove that is not the case.  

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @TT4KC

Thank you for your reply. I'll be happy to clarify. 

When adding an address in a merchant's checkout, it saves in the background on your PayPal account as a hidden gift address. Any merchant who uses the PayPal checkout can utilize the listed addresses in the background with the checkout's coding. That is why the addresses will show in other merchants' checkouts. 

These hidden gift addresses must be manually removed by a Customer Service representative, as per the instructions previously given by @pkkh and @PayPal_Ayesha. Please make sure to refer to them as hidden gift addresses to prevent confusion when contacting. It is not necessary to contact the merchant. I'm sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

MarkCOlinTaylor
Contributor
Contributor

This is ridiculous and unacceptable

Items get delivered to 'where ever' and you have to search to find where they have been delivered.

The user absolutely has the right to view ALL information you hold on them and that includes hidden addresses (which should not be hidden) - the user absolutely MUST be able to manage this information and choose to remove/amended or delete as they require.

Maybe the user doesnt want a company to retain their shipping address? 

Maybe a user wants to adjust the information?

Maybe the user just does not want the information retained?

Banks - Do NOT Retain such info - it allows fraudsters to redirect purchases and thats a breach of all international laws around credit and banking

I hope you resolve this before you lose all the trust you are losing

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @MarkCOlinTaylor

Thank you for your post, and for the opportunity to clarify the information I gave. I'm sorry if I created confusion.

The merchant doesn't retain the information. The information is attached to the profile in your PayPal account, though the addresses are hidden and only come up in the secure checkout with that merchant and other merchants. The merchant does not have access to your address unless you select it for shipping in the transaction.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you're experiencing with the inability to adjust the information on the fly.

Olivia

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.