Chargeback

Wildforms
Contributor
Contributor

Isold a couple of items to a customer on Ebay. He recieved the goods and was happy with them so left positive feedback. I then recieved a notice from Paypal that the payment was disputed. I had to provide proof of postage etc but only sent by Royal Mail First Class through our business post so had no formal evidence. I gave them details of the feedback an messages i had recieved from the customer. I contacted the customer though Ebay to ask him what was going on as I was confused as to why he had left feedback and then disputed the payment. At first he said he had no knowledge of the dispute but then remembered that he had had some unauthorised payents on his card and therefore had got the bank to cancel his card. It looked like our payment had got mixed up with this so he agreed to go to his bank and try and sort it out. He was told by his bank that it was nothing to do with them and that it was instagated by Paypal so they could not help. I gave all this information to Paypal and a few weeks later they came back and said my postal evidence was not good enough. They not only took the payment back but charged me a further £14 for the chargeback. The worrying thing is the person they appeared to give the refund back to was not the customer. A different name and email address from the original buyer, although the postal address showed the same! I contacted Paypal about this and they havnt even had the decency to reply, which I find deeply disturbing as this looks like a clear case of fraud to me!
What happened to Seller Protection!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wildforms

Paypal offer seller protection.

You have to make sure that you qualify for that protection by fulfilling the criteria.

One of those criteria is to send trackable.

You did not send trackable so you lost seller protection.   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Wildforms
Contributor
Contributor

This is clearly fraud, so you are saying that unless I send tracked, which I do not have the time or money to do so, then I am stuffed as Paypal completely ignores all other evidence and allows businesses to be walked all over!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wildforms

A chargeback is done by a buyers credit card company direct and they are the ones that make the decision.

If they find in favour of their customer then paypal have to pay back that money and charge you the credit companys processing fee.

HOWEVER you would be reimbursed by paypal if you met ALL the requirements of seller protection and one of those is to send trackable to prove delivery of the item to the paypal registered addy of the buyer.

As you could not do that then paypal could not reimburse you.

You don't have to send trackable at all but then you assume the risk if things go awry.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

charlysez1
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes customers request delivery to relatives addresses for receipt of a birthday present for example, or are on holiday and need the goods delivered to their holiday address.  Its not always possible to send to the registered address. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@charlysez1

True but you can still be covered by asking your buyer to add that address as a "gift address" to their paypal account and then you would still be covered.

Or you can just politely refuse stating you would not be covered by seller protection if you did so.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

charlysez1
Contributor
Contributor

thank you, I wasnt aware of that.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.