Item delivered by Courier, customer denies receiving it and has put in a refund claim.....twice!

macnimation
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I need some advise here on what the next steps are for me to take?

I sold two of the same items to a customer. They were posted by registered post. Customer claimed the package arrived and the package had been tampered with and the itmes were "missing"

To keep good faith, I resent another two items via UPS courier.

The tracking info stated it was delivered but customer immediately put in a Paypal dispute for a full refund, claiming he did not recieve the items although UPS state the yitems were delivered.

I am now down four items, which were delivered, valued at over €800.00 and also the customer wants his money back.

Do I as a seller have any protection or do I simply have to refund the customer and be down €1200 in total?

I can prove via the tracking numbers that the items were delivered but I cannot prove the customer actually got them.

Do I have any recourse?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

macnimation
Contributor
Contributor

I'll answer my own question as there are very little responses here.

I called Paypal today to see what the situation was with seller protection.

Basically, I was told tough s%*t

The customer needs to get a police report filled out ( that wont happen) and Paypal will only get involved if the courier had gotten a signature. The fact that the item was delivered but no signature, means Paypal are not interested and will do nothing.

So Sellers beware, it is a buyers market and Paypal will do everything to protect the customer, no matter how fraudulent. The sellers can go jump!

I have given Ebay and Paypal alot of money over the past several years so this for me will stop shortly.

Login to Me Too

JonnieS
Contributor
Contributor

So, you sent two items via trackable mail worth 400USD and can prove they arrived?

Despite this you sent replacements, again trackable and again worth 400USD and can prove once again they were signed for?

Then you say paypal have told you there is nothing you can do?

Rubbish.

In the event of a dispute the buyer has to file a police report to prove a crime has occured.

They wil get their money back and it is up to you to recover your loss via your insured means of tracking, which can be evidenced by the crime report filed. 

Login to Me Too

lynsey42
Contributor
Contributor

If you sent them trackable post then its not really a claim, they are trying it on. I would stand your ground with the case as you can show that they were delivered and that it was at their address.

Unless thay have got another person to sign for it? but if its at the address then they arn't really entitiled to a refund.

Login to Me Too

JonnieS
Contributor
Contributor

To say if it arrives at the address they aren't entitled to a refund is both misleading and wrong.

If they are stating the truth and the package arrived tampered with and items missing they should report it to the police as a crime and file a dispute.

The seller has then insurance in place to claim for theft and damage.

If the buyer is acing fraudulantly I doubt they will provide a police report but why anyone would send out replacements before dealing with the first problem is beyond me.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

I realise that this can be a frustrating position to be in. I will try to provide as much information as possible on this now but I can't see your accounts so I can't give the exact reasons as to why this has happened.

Firstly, if a buyer claims that an item has not arrived, you should try to file a claim first with the postal service provider and not send out replacement items. This would be due to the value of the items also as we can't provide any protection on replacement items that have been sent.

The next thing that I will advise is that for claims where the item was over £150.00 GBP/$250.00 USD, we would require to see who has signed for it when the item was delivered. If you had paid for a recorded delivery service including a signature on receipt, you may need to contact your postal service provider for more information on this.

If you would like any more information in regards to the claim itself, you should try contacting customer services in PayPal directly.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

Jobzdun
New Community Member

Hi Everyone, Hi David at Paypal

We are a private courier. We have customers who sell via ebay and charge the customers through Paypal. 

We then collect off our customer the parcel etc and deliver to their customer. Delivering to their property leaving no where but with customer and them signing for it. 
Our customer has has a customer say that he didnt recieve it and our client has contacted Paypal. Paypal have said the signature is not enough and that it has to be tracked!!

What on earth is that all about we are happy to stand up in court and say we delivered that and I would recognise the guy again!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.